Where to Buy Saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate)

• Thread starter spender
  • Start date
In summary, saltpeter is a restricted chemical in the US and can only be purchased by academic or research institutions. However, there are websites that teach how to make it at home using potassium nitrate.
spender
from where can I get saltpeter?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You probably can't. It is a restricted chemical (a powerful oxidizer, and may be toxic as well) in the US. It can only be bought by academic/research institutions.

I remember back when I was a kid we bought saltpeter in food stores.We then mixed it with sugar and ignited WOW! lots a smoke and fun . :rofl: :tongue:
Is it even posible to make it on my own?

Yes, lots of web sites are devoted to teaching ways on how to make salt peter (Potassium Nitrate)

http://www.skepticfiles.org/new/027doc.htm

1. Where can I buy saltpeter?

Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) can be purchased at most hardware stores, gardening centers, and online retailers.

2. Is saltpeter available in powdered or crystal form?

Saltpeter is available in both powdered and crystal form. The powdered form is more commonly used in cooking, while the crystal form is often used in science experiments.

3. Can I buy saltpeter without a permit?

In most countries, saltpeter is not a controlled substance and can be purchased without a permit. However, it is always best to check local regulations before purchasing.

4. What safety precautions should I take when handling saltpeter?

Saltpeter should be handled with caution, as it is a strong oxidizing agent. It is recommended to wear gloves and eye protection when handling saltpeter, and to avoid inhaling the powder or getting it on your skin.

5. Are there any alternatives to buying saltpeter?

If you are unable to purchase saltpeter, you can make your own potassium nitrate by mixing ammonium nitrate and potassium chloride in water, allowing the solution to evaporate, and then collecting the crystals that form.