1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some recommandations for literature about periodic functions

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1
    Hello, I know I am asking for advice about a very specific topic - periodic functions, almost periodic functions and quasi-periodic functions. I was hit by an idea and I need to know a few things more comprehensively about this topic !?~ :]

I am aware that "periodic functions etc." isn't a course popularly taught (if at all?) so there may be a shortage of actual textbooks about it, but I should be complexly grateful if anyone could point me towards a way to acquire this knowledge in a relatively connected form. Maybe there are some monographs written on these subjects? Or is searching for bits and pieces here and there my only option of building a fairly exhaustive knowledge about these?

Any input is very much appreciated; and I hope my topic is not too far off from being well-formed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2
    What exactly do you need to know about periodic functions?

A study of Fourier series might be of use to you. While I can't give specific suggestions, you shouldn't have a difficult time finding a book on Fourier series/transforms which also includes a portion on periodic functions in general. Depending on what your idea is, you might even find Fourier series themselves to be quite useful. (breaking apart signals into a sum of cosines with different frequencies).

I have a feeling you'll find that most of the information on periodic functions (beyond the basics you learn in high-school of course) will be little snippets that are specific to some particular topic rather than general information about periodic functions.

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3
    well, everything. sufficient knowledge so that I may say I know "periodic functions theory"... but,

I was somewhat afraid of that... it seems I'll have to dig through the library for what I need. Thank you for your input. :]

I already covered Fourier series last year. I was wondering if there is a theoretical framework that is more abstract and general. Perhaps something like how function spaces are studied in analysis... ahh, I have no idea how to put this... thanks again. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?