How can I motivate myself to do my homework and stop procrastinating?

• Thread starter Mathematicus
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking help to motivate themselves to do their schoolwork instead of playing games all day. They have tried various methods such as setting a schedule and turning off electronics, but have not been successful. They are hesitant to try martial arts as a possible solution and prefer to handle the issue on their own. Others suggest going to the library to study as a way to avoid distractions.
Mathematicus
This is not related to physics, this is general...

I am...hmmm... a very smart guy (don't think I have ego or something, that's what everyone else says), and I ace all of my tests and I don't have trouble doing schoolwork at all, but the problem is that when I come back and sit in my chair, I just...can't do the hw... just CAN'T... I don't know if it's my *cough* mental disorder... but most likely it's just laziness... Instead I just log on and play games whole day... that's my problem. Do you know anything, any tips that will help me motivate myself? My grades are dropping, and i don't know what to do with it... Thanks for any help...

And please... to me it's very important...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...maybe turn off the computer and do the homework instead? I have a similar problem, although my classes are pretty easy, so I have plenty of time to waste online without hurting my grades...though I know it's not a good habit to get into. Try writing up a daily schedule or something, and allot yourself maybe an hour of internet use or tv watching/ video game playing a day. After that, just force yourself to turn it off. Better yet, just unplug the computer/tv/game system and put it out of sight.

Mathematicus said:
This is not related to physics, this is general...

I am...hmmm... a very smart guy (don't think I have ego or something, that's what everyone else says), and I ace all of my tests and I don't have trouble doing schoolwork at all, but the problem is that when I come back and sit in my chair, I just...can't do the hw... just CAN'T... I don't know if it's my *cough* mental disorder... but most likely it's just laziness... Instead I just log on and play games whole day... that's my problem. Do you know anything, any tips that will help me motivate myself? My grades are dropping, and i don't know what to do with it... Thanks for any help...

And please... to me it's very important...

You need something to focus you. Try a good martial art. I would personally stay away from most Karate, and Taekwando places... not because of the art, but a lot of instructors are just about the money, not the students.

usahockey said:
Hmm...maybe turn off the computer and do the homework instead? I have a similar problem, although my classes are pretty easy, so I have plenty of time to waste online without hurting my grades...though I know it's not a good habit to get into. Try writing up a daily schedule or something, and allot yourself maybe an hour of internet use or tv watching/ video game playing a day. After that, just force yourself to turn it off. Better yet, just unplug the computer/tv/game system and put it out of sight.

I tried... it doesn't work... :frown:

FrogPad said:
You need something to focus you. Try a good martial art. I would personally stay away from most Karate, and Taekwando places... not because of the art, but a lot of instructors are just about the money, not the students.

I don't really feel like going to carate... how is it going to help me focus? my primary problem is laziness... :grumpy:

Mathematicus said:
I don't really feel like going to carate... how is it going to help me focus? my primary problem is laziness... :grumpy:

Well, if you can get your lazy ass over to some martial arts (I said not Karate) then in time you will find you are not lazy. A good martial arts will focus you. It will take some time, but it is very helpful in all aspects of your life.

Getting your ass kicked a couple times a week is humbling.

Remember... you asked for help, so you are going to get responses. You can either say, screw it, or you could try one of the responses. Or you can easily dismiss them, and continue on your current path. The responses may or may not be correct, but it is safe to say if you continue your current actions then you will get these current results (which you are not satisfied with).

FrogPad said:
Well, if you can get your lazy ass over to some martial arts (I said not Karate) then in time you will find you are not lazy. A good martial arts will focus you. It will take some time, but it is very helpful in all aspects of your life.

Getting your ass kicked a couple times a week is humbling.

Remember... you asked for help, so you are going to get responses. You can either say, screw it, or you could try one of the responses. Or you can easily dismiss them, and continue on your current path. The responses may or may not be correct, but it is safe to say if you continue your current actions then you will get these current results (which you are not satisfied with).

All right, but I didn't want my parents to know about it, I want to deal with it myself. If I want to sign up for a martial art, I will need my mom or dad to do it for me. Mayb ethere is some other technique except for getting my *hmmm* ass kicked a few times a week? Some techniques to just make myslef do it...

Anyways I have to go to sleep right now...

Many people I know go to the library to study in order to keep them away from being distracted.

It's the same idea basically as turning the computer off, but suppose you're home trying to study and it sucks and you succomb to the computer urge. You just have to push the "on" button. But if you're at the library trying to study and it sucks, the "on" button is kilometers away.

Mathematicus said:
All right, but I didn't want my parents to know about it, I want to deal with it myself. If I want to sign up for a martial art, I will need my mom or dad to do it for me. Mayb ethere is some other technique except for getting my *hmmm* ass kicked a few times a week? Some techniques to just make myslef do it...

I am not saying to get permanently injured each week. I think you know this... and are nit picking.

quasar987 also had an excellent suggestion. The reason I'm all over this thread, is yeah, I was diagnosed as ADD and what not... so, I'm offering things that have helped me.

Another thing to do, is to go somewhere that removes distractions. If you can do without the internet, then go somewhere that doesn't have it.

Decide what it is that you really want to do. Consider uninstalling the games until your grades come back up. Consider doing your homework at the kitchen table or somewhere else.

I have the same problem. It was because class work was too trivial. I just started studying books that were more interesting and got hooked on doing challenging problems that took days to solve, not seconds.

Maybe all this martial arts can help but i don't see how it is different to a good run or physical exercise, if you feel like you can't sit still, just exercise off the extra physical energy so you can sit down and concerntrate on maths.

FrogPad said:

Martial arts are a good idea. There is probably a club at your school or something.

set some goals for your self ..do some of your own learning ...find something that interests you ... I guess you know this already but its not all about passing your exams.

quasar987 said:
Many people I know go to the library to study in order to keep them away from being distracted.

Definitely. The library is the only place I can study.

I take my books, no distractions and stay for a few hours. I've never revised at home (didn't say I haven't tried!) - I normally sit around and arrange study plans instead of doing actual work. For me, starting is the hardest part. If possible, go to a library that's at least a 20-30 minute walk from your home, that way you won't be tempted to skip away too early pretending you'll go back :smile:

quasar987 said:

It's the same idea basically as turning the computer off, but suppose you're home trying to study and it sucks and you succomb to the computer urge. You just have to push the "on" button. But if you're at the library trying to study and it sucks, the "on" button is kilometers away.

That's the best so far :rolleyes: Thanks a lot! (Since I have free 6th it doesn't really matter):approve:

if the alone library isn't enough, have a friend who you know will be strict on you not doing your work study with you

Shock collar.

Actually, I would suggest just to force yourself to start your homework. Once you get started, it's easier to stay motivated. It's much like a book.

everytime you get off task, flick yourself somewhere it will just give you a tiny bit of a reminder to get you work done

its will become a learned response to get your work done

I have sort of the same problem, except it's if I'm in the same room as the computer, or can see it out of the corner of my eye, i get distracted. (i joined a group on facebook called "f--- you facebook, I'm trying to do my homework"

If you don't have a place where you can do your homework and not see the computer, then go on a few websites that tell you ways to save the environment, and one of them is shut off the computer overnight to save energy. so then if you get the urge to go on the computer, there will be a "reason" that the computer is shut off :smile:

that's just a random suggestion

laurelelizabeth said:
I have sort of the same problem, except it's if I'm in the same room as the computer, or can see it out of the corner of my eye, i get distracted. (i joined a group on facebook called "f--- you facebook, I'm trying to do my homework"

If you don't have a place where you can do your homework and not see the computer, then go on a few websites that tell you ways to save the environment, and one of them is shut off the computer overnight to save energy. so then if you get the urge to go on the computer, there will be a "reason" that the computer is shut off :smile:

that's just a random suggestion

or if that isn't enough you could just unplug your computer and put some duct tape over the power button. in the tiem it takes to go through all of that you'd get a few good opportunities to realize that you need to get back to work. or you could cover your power button to your computer with a strip of tape covered in a corrosive chem. I'm sure that would be enough incentive. :rolleyes:

I was at my school library and I actually found a book to study on how to study. https://www.amazon.com/dp/157129046X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
laurelelizabeth said:
:rofl: I know exactly what you mean. I think it was sometime last year when we got introduced to facebook, but it was a brilliant way to waste time during revision periods! I don't really go on every day like I used to. Although, when I'm working at home I'm normally logged into PF at the same time!

However, when I really need to work, I force myself to go into university. I used to go in the library, but that just got annoying as it's ridiculously loud in there during exam times! Now I just go and sit in an empty classroom-- no computer, tv, radio, or anyone else to talk to, and I manage to get so much more work done! That way, I don't feel guilty about coming home in the evening and relaxing.

Last edited:

1. How can I motivate myself to do my homework?

One way to motivate yourself to do homework is to break it down into smaller, more manageable tasks. Set a timer for a specific amount of time and work on one task until the timer goes off. This can help make the daunting task of homework seem more achievable.

2. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific subject or assignment?

If you are struggling with a specific subject or assignment, reach out to your teacher or a classmate for help. They may be able to offer clarification or provide additional resources to help you understand the material better.

3. How can I avoid distractions while doing my homework?

To avoid distractions while doing homework, try finding a quiet and comfortable study space. Turn off your phone or put it on silent and minimize any other potential distractions, such as social media or TV. It may also be helpful to set specific study times and stick to them.

4. What should I do if I am feeling overwhelmed with my homework load?

If you are feeling overwhelmed with your homework load, prioritize your assignments and focus on the most important or time-sensitive ones first. Also, make sure to take breaks and give yourself time to relax and recharge. Don't be afraid to ask for an extension if needed.

5. How can I manage my time better to get my homework done?

To manage your time better and get your homework done, create a schedule or to-do list and stick to it. Set aside specific blocks of time for homework each day and try to eliminate any distractions during those times. It may also be helpful to break larger assignments into smaller tasks and work on them over multiple days.