1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I struggle with doing my hw

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    This is not related to physics, this is general....

I am...hmmm... a very smart guy (don't think I have ego or something, that's what everyone else says), and I ace all of my tests and I don't have trouble doing schoolwork at all, but the problem is that when I come back and sit in my chair, I just...can't do the hw... just CAN'T... I don't know if it's my *cough* mental disorder... but most likely it's just laziness... Instead I just log on and play games whole day... that's my problem. Do you know anything, any tips that will help me motivate myself? My grades are dropping, and i don't know what to do with it... Thanks for any help...

And please... to me it's very important...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2
    Hmm...maybe turn off the computer and do the homework instead? I have a similar problem, although my classes are pretty easy, so I have plenty of time to waste online without hurting my grades...though I know it's not a good habit to get into. Try writing up a daily schedule or something, and allot yourself maybe an hour of internet use or tv watching/ video game playing a day. After that, just force yourself to turn it off. Better yet, just unplug the computer/tv/game system and put it out of sight.
  4. Apr 23, 2007 #3

You need something to focus you. Try a good martial art. I would personally stay away from most Karate, and Taekwando places... not because of the art, but a lot of instructors are just about the money, not the students.
  5. Apr 23, 2007 #4
    I tried... it doesn't work... :frown:
  6. Apr 23, 2007 #5
    I don't really feel like going to carate... how is it going to help me focus? my primary problem is laziness... :grumpy:
  7. Apr 23, 2007 #6
    Well, if you can get your lazy ass over to some martial arts (I said not Karate) then in time you will find you are not lazy. A good martial arts will focus you. It will take some time, but it is very helpful in all aspects of your life.

Getting your ass kicked a couple times a week is humbling.

Remember... you asked for help, so you are going to get responses. You can either say, screw it, or you could try one of the responses. Or you can easily dismiss them, and continue on your current path. The responses may or may not be correct, but it is safe to say if you continue your current actions then you will get these current results (which you are not satisfied with).
  8. Apr 23, 2007 #7
    All right, but I didn't want my parents to know about it, I want to deal with it myself. If I want to sign up for a martial art, I will need my mom or dad to do it for me. Mayb ethere is some other technique except for getting my *hmmm* ass kicked a few times a week? Some techniques to just make myslef do it...
  9. Apr 23, 2007 #8
    Anyways I have to go to sleep right now...
  10. Apr 23, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Many people I know go to the library to study in order to keep them away from being distracted.

It's the same idea basically as turning the computer off, but suppose you're home trying to study and it sucks and you succomb to the computer urge. You just have to push the "on" button. But if you're at the library trying to study and it sucks, the "on" button is kilometers away.
  11. Apr 23, 2007 #10
    I am not saying to get permanently injured each week. I think you know this... and are nit picking.

quasar987 also had an excellent suggestion. The reason I'm all over this thread, is yeah, I was diagnosed as ADD and what not... so, I'm offering things that have helped me.

Another thing to do, is to go somewhere that removes distractions. If you can do without the internet, then go somewhere that doesn't have it.
  12. Apr 23, 2007 #11
    Decide what it is that you really want to do. Consider uninstalling the games until your grades come back up. Consider doing your homework at the kitchen table or somewhere else.
  13. Apr 23, 2007 #12
    I have the same problem. It was because class work was too trivial. I just started studying books that were more interesting and got hooked on doing challenging problems that took days to solve, not seconds.

Maybe all this martial arts can help but i don't see how it is different to a good run or physical exercise, if you feel like you can't sit still, just exercise off the extra physical energy so you can sit down and concerntrate on maths.
  14. Apr 23, 2007 #13
    Martial arts are a good idea. There is probably a club at your school or something.
  15. Apr 24, 2007 #14
    set some goals for your self ..do some of your own learning ...find something that interests you ... I guess you know this already but its not all about passing your exams.
  16. Apr 24, 2007 #15
    Definitely. The library is the only place I can study.

I take my books, no distractions and stay for a few hours. I've never revised at home (didn't say I haven't tried!) - I normally sit around and arrange study plans instead of doing actual work. For me, starting is the hardest part. If possible, go to a library thats at least a 20-30 minute walk from your home, that way you won't be tempted to skip away too early pretending you'll go back :smile:
  17. Apr 24, 2007 #16
    That's the best so far :rolleyes: Thanks a lot! (Since I have free 6th it doesn't really matter):approve:
  18. Apr 24, 2007 #17
    if the alone library isnt enough, have a friend who you know will be strict on you not doing your work study with you
  19. Apr 25, 2007 #18
    Shock collar.

Actually, I would suggest just to force yourself to start your homework. Once you get started, it's easier to stay motivated. It's much like a book.
  20. Apr 25, 2007 #19
    everytime you get off task, flick yourself somewhere it will just give you a tiny bit of a reminder to get you work done

its will become a learned response to get your work done
  21. May 20, 2007 #20
    I have sort of the same problem, except it's if i'm in the same room as the computer, or can see it out of the corner of my eye, i get distracted. (i joined a group on facebook called "f--- you facebook, i'm trying to do my homework"

If you don't have a place where you can do your homework and not see the computer, then go on a few websites that tell you ways to save the environment, and one of them is shut off the computer overnight to save energy. so then if you get the urge to go on the computer, there will be a "reason" that the computer is shut off :smile:

that's just a random suggestion
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?