I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
In summary, researchers at the University of Georgia conducted a study showing that rats have the ability to engage in self-reflection and assess their own knowledge. They trained the rats to push levers in response to different durations of static and found that the rats were able to decline answering when they were unsure of the answer. This suggests that rats are self-aware and capable of thinking about their own thoughts. This study adds to the growing evidence of animal intelligence and raises ethical concerns about the treatment of rats in laboratory settings.
moe darklight
I was watching Mythbusters, and the redhead girl says, "for this experiment, we'll be using rats because rats are self-aware and less likely to put themselves in danger."

so I just had to look this up.

turns out some people at the U of Georgia did some studies that seem to suggest this.

(from Newsweek):

[...] It's called metacognition—the ability to think about your thoughts, to engage in self-reflection, to introspect. It was long thought to be not just something that we have more of or do better than machines or animals, but that we have and they lack. To know what you know is not only the mark of a skilled game-show contestant who is quick (but not too quick) on the buzzer, but also of consciousness, the last stand for human exceptionalism. Now, however, this claim is on the rocks as both animals and machines show signs that they can engage in self-reflection.

In the latest study, scientists tested for introspection in rats. Jonathon Crystal and Allison Foote of the University of Georgia trained rats to push one lever when they heard a short burst of static, and a second lever when they heard a long burst. The reward for a right answer was six food pellets. A wrong answer yielded nothing. But refusing to answer—like a student fleeing an exam room upon seeing the impossible questions—earned the rat a consolation prize of three morsels. Clearly, the smart strategy was to respond if sure of the answer, but pass if not.The rats got almost perfect scores when they had to identify two-second or eight-second bursts. But when they heard static of intermediate duration and had to choose "long" or "short," they were twice as likely to decline the test and take the three pellets; they knew what they didn't know. To make sure the rats were truly introspecting, the scientists then eliminated the opt-out choice and required the rats to choose "long" or "short" for the medium bursts. The animals got half right, no better than guessing, which suggests that when they opted out it was indeed because they had assessed the contents of their mind—do I know this?—and made the rational choice, the scientists report in Current Biology. "Rats can reflect on their internal mental states," says Crystal. "They know when they don't know." Other scientists have gotten similar results with dolphins and rhesus monkeys, who also decline to take a test when they don't know the answer. They think about thinking. [...]

I think it's pretty cool. All studies on animal intelligence fascinate me. So if anyone knows more studies along these lines I'd love to know about them... or videos. I watched a BBC doc on chimps a few months ago (can't remember the name) that was awesome.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Indeed a nice study. Thanks for posting this moe darklight.

Interesting study. If it turns out to be accurate, I wonder if this will affect the status of mice/rats as the stereotypical lab mammal. Wouldn't self-awareness immediately lead to ethical concerns when it comes to how these animals are currently handled?

What does "I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat" mean?

The phrase "I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat" is a play on the famous philosophical statement "Cogito, ergo sum" by René Descartes, which means "I think, therefore I am." In this context, it could mean that the rat, as a thinking being, exists.

Is the phrase "I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat" meant to be taken literally?

No, the phrase is not meant to be taken literally. It is a humorous twist on Descartes' statement and does not suggest that rats have the same level of consciousness as humans.

What is the origin of the phrase "I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat"?

The origin of the phrase is uncertain, but it is often used in popular culture as a joke or pun. It may have originated from a meme or social media post.

Can the phrase "I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat" have a deeper meaning?

Some people may interpret the phrase as a commentary on the relationship between humans and animals, or the idea that consciousness and self-awareness are not exclusive to humans. However, this is not the intended meaning of the phrase.

What is the significance of using a rat in the phrase "I Think, Therefore I Am A Rat"?

The use of a rat in the phrase is likely just for comedic effect. Rats are often seen as pests or symbols of filth, so using them in a philosophical statement adds an unexpected and humorous element.