Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think this is close enough to a math question.

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    So there are three guys fresh out of college who want to save money, so they decide to rent a room. The room costs 30 dollars, so they split it 10-10-10. They pay, but it turns out the room is only $25, so the manager asks the bellboy to take $5 and to give it back. The bellboy takes a 'tip' off the top, and gives back $3. So, the paid $9 each. 9*3=27. The bellboy has $2. 9*3+2=$29. Where is the last dollar?

If you know the answer or have heard it before, a simple "oooh, i get it" will suffice. Please do not spoil it for others until they are just about ready to commit suicide.

That is all.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Highlight to read: Why have you done 9*3+2=29? 9*3=27, the total amount paid (25 for the room, 2 to the bellboy), then each person gets one dollar back each, so this sums to 30.

Note, we have a brainteasers forum.

4. Jan 17, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yea i've seen this one before.

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4
    Ohhh i get it...lol

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5

uart

Science Advisor

You probably wont catch too many people around here with that one. :D

7. Jan 18, 2007 #6
    i have heard it before. its a very widely known brain teaser.

8. Jan 19, 2007 #7
    I think this is more of a tautology and not a maths problem.

The original total cost of the room = $30.00.
    Upon review, the total cost of the room is now = $25.00.

This leaves $5.00.

If they bell man takes $2.00, there are $3.00 remaining.

25.00+2.00 = 27 + 3 = 30.

Unless I am an idiot, I don't see the dilemma. I am going to go find the solution to this and see if there is a trick or something -- it seems to straight forward to me (I have never seen this before).

EDIT: can't seem to find this problem when I google it -- did you rewrite it?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  9. Jan 19, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I'd never heard it before, but the "solution" is clear! Just like any other brain teaser, it's meant to catch you out and disguise the answer. However, as uart says, I don't think many mathematicians will be caught out by it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?