I used to run track and had a teammate that ran virtually identical

• Thread starter rlarson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential advantage of a stronger and heavier runner in a race while carrying a backpack. The speaker's intuition suggests that the stronger runner would have an advantage, but there is no simple physical explanation for how the body reacts to added weight. The question is then posed about the potential impact of a heavier backpack, and the speaker's intuition remains the same.
rlarson
I used to run track and had a teammate that ran virtually identical times to me in everything we did. He was a bigger guy (5'11" 180lbs. vs. 5'8" 145lbs.) and much stronger than me in the weight room.

I've always been curious about something and am not sure how the physics behind it works. If we raced each other with 25lb. backpacks on would he now have an advantage? My intuition says yes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't really use an argument from physics to answer this, since your reaction to the extra weight is more a function of your bodies ability to create power. There isn't a simple physical explanation for how it does. But I would probably agree with your rough reasoning.

Increase the weight of the backpack to (say) 100 pounds. What do you think now?

What is the significance of having a teammate that ran virtually identical?

The significance of having a teammate that ran virtually identical is that it allows for healthy competition and motivation within the team. It also helps to push each other to improve and reach new personal bests.

How does having a teammate that ran virtually identical impact team dynamics?

Having a teammate that ran virtually identical can create a strong bond and camaraderie among team members. It also fosters a sense of support and teamwork as everyone works towards a common goal.

What factors contribute to two teammates running virtually identical?

Factors such as similar training methods, genetics, and overall fitness level can contribute to two teammates running virtually identical. Environmental factors such as weather and track conditions can also play a role.

Can two teammates running virtually identical be beneficial for the team's overall performance?

Yes, having two teammates running virtually identical can be beneficial for the team's overall performance. It can create a competitive and driven environment, pushing everyone to perform at their best and potentially leading to better results for the team as a whole.

Is there a downside to having a teammate that runs virtually identical?

There is not necessarily a downside to having a teammate that runs virtually identical, as it can be a positive and motivating factor. However, it is important to maintain a healthy level of competition and not let it become a source of tension or conflict within the team.