1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want things and ways to learn!

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    Hello everybody, this is my first time in this forums and you could probably guess I love physics (the reason people are here). I'm 13 years old and for my age I have have a good knowledge of physics. The problem is, is that my school haven't taught us most things about it yet, I have looked up things on YouTube and on Google but I'm running our of new things to explore (even though I know that there's lots more). So if you have any suggestions on ways to learn or good YouTube channels that aren't listed below then please give me some response!

YouTube channels that I already know:
    • MinutePhysics
    • Vsauce + Vsauce 2,3
    • ViHart
    • SciShow
    • NumberFile
    • PsyFile

EXTRA:
    I'm into learning formulas E.G. T=2∏(√L/g) or rather than 2∏ I could use τ

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2
    learning the concepts is great, especially at your age.

maybe give high-school level math a shot. most physics concepts will require math abilities of that level for calculations (at a minimum... but if you can teach yourself calculus, more power to you!)

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3
    As quicksilver1223 said, I would encourage you to watch:

MIT's Linear Algebra 18.06SC
    MIT's Single Variable Calculus 18.01SC
    MIT's Multivariable Calculus 18.02SC
    MIT's Differential Equations 18.03SC

This will give you some of the tools needed. After that, you may start looking at the MIT's Physics courses such as 8.01SC. The MIT's OpenCourseWare and a few other sites - there will be a list on my blog shortly.

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4
    There's the KhanAcademy which I like for learning math 'intuitively' and Yale's 'Fundamental of Physics', available on YouTube. You'll need some calculus for that but it probably won't to just watch it and become familiar with the concepts. In fact, I think Prof. Shankar actually gives a crash course in 3 minutes crash course in the calculus that you need for the course in one of the lectures :p

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Whoa! You would recommend these to a 13-year old??!!

Zz.

7. Feb 17, 2013 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Feb 17, 2013 #7
    Read the following books:
    Mad About Physics
    Mad About Modern Physics
    The Flying Circus of Physics
    Thinking Physics

9. Feb 17, 2013 #8
    And stay ahead on all your math. The more math you do in hs, the better. Look into taking math classes at a nearby community college.

10. Feb 18, 2013 #9
    Get down to your local public library, find the physics shelves, and start reading whatever looks interesting. Also, talk to a librarian, and ask for recommendations. They might point you to resources you didn't think about, like "the reference section" or "free online resources". Also discuss "inter-library loan", which is a way to get books that people recommend, that aren't in the library, without blowing all your pocket money. Also, talk to your physics teachers, they might have ideas - like lending you books, pointing you to other libraries, physics clubs, whatever...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook