I want to design Missiles for the Navy -- what should I study?

In summary, to design and build missiles for the navy, you should study mechanical or aerospace engineering in university and potentially work for a company contracted by the navy for missile design.
Lee shannon
i would like to design and build missiles for the navy which upper school subjects should i take and then which uni corses should i follow them up with

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex systems like missiles are designed and built by very large teams (100s or even 1000s) of people with many different backgrounds and skills. So you need to ask yourself what you are interested in? Electrical engineering? computer science? Mechanical engineering? Aeronautics? Control system? etc

My point is that you could probably study just about ANY engineering subject (except perhaps civil engineering) and still end up working on missile design.

To add to what toli said, what part of the missiles do you want to design.
what interests you about them?

Lee shannon said:
i would like to design and build missiles for the navy which upper school subjects should i take and then which uni corses should i follow them up with
If you just want to "build missiles", don't do anything. You don't go into giant fields with the purpose of designing one specific device(Not to mention already highly-perfected killing machines!). You should go into engineering because you like engineering, not missiles.

Go drink some ayahuasca or meditate or something...

Are you saying that if you were offered a job building missiles for the Air Force you would turn it down? This seems awfully specialized.

arrowpusher96 said:
If you just want to "build missiles", don't do anything. You don't go into giant fields with the purpose of designing one specific device(Not to mention already highly-perfected killing machines!). You should go into engineering because you like engineering, not missiles.
I did not know there were rules about what is an acceptable reason for wanting to do something. My life is a lie.

Likes billy_joule, donpacino and MisterX
DaveC426913 said:
I did not know there were rules about what is an acceptable reason for wanting to do something. My life is a lie.

Well, at least now you know. #silverlining

Dont work for the NAVY. Throw those dreams out the window. The people that do all the cool design work are contracted to universities or have advanced degrees and work on special projects teams. Otherwise, youll be in charge of something really simple like the color of the nose cone...

Software engineering may have a lot of opportunities, but if you want to design some new missile from a hardware standpoint the only project I know going on is within hypersonics.

Lee shannon said:

You might study mechanical or aerospace engineering and work for a company that the Navy contracts to do missile design, this is a better bet than working for the Navy itself ironically as HuskyNamedNala mentioned.

1. What educational background is required to become a missile designer for the Navy?

The most common educational path for becoming a missile designer for the Navy is to earn a bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably in a field related to missile design, such as aerospace or mechanical engineering. A graduate degree in a related field can also be beneficial.

2. What specific skills are necessary for designing missiles for the Navy?

Designing missiles for the Navy requires a combination of technical skills, including knowledge of aerodynamics, propulsion, materials science, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Additionally, strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills are essential for success in this field.

3. Are there any specific courses or certifications that would be helpful for this career?

Courses in missile design, aerodynamics, and propulsion are highly recommended for those interested in designing missiles for the Navy. Additionally, obtaining certifications in specialized areas, such as CAD software or project management, can make you a more competitive candidate.

4. Is military experience necessary for becoming a missile designer for the Navy?

While military experience can be beneficial for understanding the specific needs and requirements of the Navy, it is not a requirement for becoming a missile designer. However, having a strong understanding of military protocols and procedures can be helpful in this career.

5. What other career paths are available for someone interested in designing missiles for the Navy?

Aside from working directly for the Navy as a missile designer, there are also opportunities to work for private defense contractors or in research and development for companies that specialize in missile technology. Additionally, many of the skills and knowledge gained from designing missiles can be transferable to other fields, such as aerospace engineering or defense technology.