I want to teach myself mathematics, but I .

• Thread starter J_Student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the speaker has had a varied experience with mathematics, starting late and struggling with a weak foundation. They have taken basic math courses and Calculus, but struggle with retaining the information. They are now looking to teach themselves mathematics but are unsure where to start and what subjects they should focus on. They also mention a fear of delving into the subject. They have a degree in Spanish but have continued studying various subjects since graduation. They apologize for the long story but hope for advice on their current situation.
J_Student
Hello, all,

As the title says, I want to teach myself mathematics, but I need help. I never took my education quite seriously--for a variety of reasons--until I reached the university level. At the university, I first studied solely for grades; next, out of interest; and lastly, out of both interest and obtaining pure knowledge and understanding. I worked hard and found myself with a greater understanding of many areas of study.

However, starting so late, my fundamental knowledge of mathematics and sciences was somewhat shaky. I took one of the most basic math courses (in the good grades phase) that dealt mostly with functions, etc. Then, when I needed to take my second math course, I decided to take Calculus and Analytical Geometry I; it dealt with limits, derivatives, etc. When I was first learning about limits, I thought they were so cool because it was finally a change from the usual curriculum and I never had the opportunity to use mathematics in such a novel way before.

But needless to say, without a strong foundation of mathematics, I had to study diligently, seek out university tutors, and meet with the professor during office hours just to survive the semester. I did very well and was pleased with my understanding; however, the problem arose when comparing the amount that I learned against the amount that I previously knew. It was like trying to stack a boulder on a flimsy tower of bricks--it soon came crashing down. Today, I barely remember anything from that class. The problem was that--for me--I learned a separate body of knowledge as opposed to the other students--who were incorporating it with their prior knowledge.

I have continued studying various subjects since graduation, but not so much mathematics. I suppose my fear has dulled my interest. But I do not want to give up. My problem is I do not know where to start. I do not know the usual sequence of study--is it arithmetic -> algebra -> geometry -> trigonometry -> calculus, etc.? Also, I do not know what it is I am even supposed to know from each subject; for example, I can probably solve many of the practical questions of algebra still, but I do not know the logic behind them--or if I am even supposed to delve into the logic at this point. I find that if I use a practical-orientated websites, I am always left wondering why or for what. And when I search for the logic behind such practices, I am completely lost in a giant WHAT. :D

So I apologize for the long story, but I felt that it would be a good way to clarify my current situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
J_Student.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was studying secondary education, but it did not work out; I graduated with a B.A. in Spanish.

1. How do I get started with teaching myself mathematics?

To get started with teaching yourself mathematics, it is important to have a clear goal in mind. Determine what area of mathematics you want to focus on, and then find appropriate resources such as textbooks, online courses, or videos. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and set aside dedicated time each day to practice and learn.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to teach myself mathematics?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessary to teach yourself mathematics. As long as you have a basic understanding of fundamental concepts and are willing to put in the time and effort to learn, you can teach yourself mathematics at any level.

3. How can I stay motivated while teaching myself mathematics?

Staying motivated while teaching yourself mathematics can be challenging, but setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, and finding a study partner or joining a study group can help keep you motivated. It is also important to remember your end goal and the reasons why you want to learn mathematics.

4. How can I track my progress and ensure I am understanding the material?

Keeping track of your progress is crucial when teaching yourself mathematics. Some ways to track your progress include regularly testing yourself with practice problems, taking quizzes or exams, and seeking feedback from a mentor or tutor. It is also helpful to review material regularly to reinforce your understanding.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist with teaching myself mathematics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to assist with teaching yourself mathematics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These platforms offer a wide range of courses, videos, and practice problems for self-study. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where you can ask questions and receive support from other self-learners and experts in the field.