I was asked to draw the Lewis structure of NO2-

In summary, the conversation discussed drawing the Lewis structure of NO2- and determining the formal charge of atoms. The shape of the molecule was identified as Bent, with an angle of less than 120 degrees. The reason for this angle was explained to be the behavior of lone pairs of electrons, which causes a greater repulsive force and a smaller bond angle. The effect of multiple bonds on the bond angle was also mentioned.
omni
i was asked to draw the Lewis structure of NO2-,
and to write the formal charge of any atoms. so in the picture you can see my tried (the red number is the formal charge).
now i also asked to decide what is the angle ONO. what i know is the shape of this molecule is Bent so the angle will be less than 120 degrees.
but what make the angle to be less than 120 120 degrees?

thanks.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 568
Physics news on Phys.org

Lone pairs of electrons (i.e., the pair on N that's not involved in bonding) don't behave quite like bonding pairs. The model is that they are pulled closer to the central atom and spread out, causing a greater repulsive force on the other pairs and making the O-N-O bond angle smaller.

It always seems to me like multiple bonds should have a similar effect. As far as I know, though, that is not supported by experimental results.

ok i think i got it.

thank you

1. What is the Lewis structure of NO2-?

The Lewis structure of NO2- is a representation of the bonding and non-bonding electrons in the molecule. It shows that there are two single bonds between the nitrogen atom and the two oxygen atoms, and one lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom.

2. How do you draw the Lewis structure of NO2-?

To draw the Lewis structure of NO2-, first determine the total number of valence electrons by adding the valence electrons of each atom. Then, arrange the atoms in a way that the central atom (nitrogen) is surrounded by the other atoms (oxygen). Next, place a single bond between the central atom and each surrounding atom, and fill in the remaining valence electrons as lone pairs. Finally, check that all atoms have a full octet and adjust the bonding if necessary.

3. Why is the Lewis structure of NO2- important?

The Lewis structure of NO2- is important because it helps us understand the chemical bonding and electron arrangement in the molecule. It also provides information about the molecule's shape and polarity, which are important factors in determining its physical and chemical properties.

4. What is the difference between NO2 and NO2-?

The main difference between NO2 and NO2- is the number of valence electrons. NO2 has an odd number of valence electrons, making it a free radical with an unpaired electron. On the other hand, NO2- has an even number of electrons and is a stable, negatively charged ion.

5. Can the Lewis structure of NO2- have resonance structures?

Yes, the Lewis structure of NO2- can have resonance structures. This means that the double bond between the nitrogen and one of the oxygen atoms can be moved to form a double bond between the nitrogen and the other oxygen atom. However, the overall arrangement of atoms and the number of valence electrons will remain the same.