Drawing a Lewis Dot Structure for Octathiocane (S8)

In summary, when trying to draw a Lewis dot structure for non-cyclic, net neutral octathiocane (S8) that does not violate the octet rule, it is important to consider the formal charges of the terminal sulfurs and the ability of sulfur to change lone pairs to bonds. A straight chain structure is possible with a 1- formal charge on one end and a 0 formal charge on the other.
rmjmu507

Homework Statement

How can I draw a Lewis dot structure for octathiocane (S8) which is non-cyclic, net neutral, and which does not violate the octet rule?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried drawing a straight chain molecule, but the two terminal sulfurs each have a negative charge, giving a net negative charge overall.

I then tried pushing an electron pair from one of the terminal sulfurs inwards, which solves the charge issue but makes the penultimate sulfur on one side violate the octet rule...

I'm stumped. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
- It is a straight chain.
- One end has a 1- formal charge, the other has a 0 formal charge. (Net charge=0)
- Sulfur can change lone pairs to bonds.

You should be able to figure it out with this, if not let me know. :D

1. What is the chemical formula for octathiocane?

The chemical formula for octathiocane is S8. This means that it contains 8 sulfur atoms bonded together in a ring structure.

2. How do I draw the Lewis Dot Structure for octathiocane?

To draw the Lewis Dot Structure for octathiocane, first determine the total number of valence electrons by multiplying the number of sulfur atoms (8) by the number of valence electrons for sulfur (6). In this case, there are 48 valence electrons. Place the sulfur atoms in a ring, with each atom sharing a single bond with its neighbors. Then, add the remaining electrons in pairs around each sulfur atom until all 48 electrons are accounted for.

3. Are there any guidelines or rules for drawing a Lewis Dot Structure?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to follow when drawing Lewis Dot Structures. The first is the octet rule, which states that atoms will share or transfer electrons in order to achieve a full outer shell of 8 electrons. Additionally, the most electronegative atom (usually the atom with the highest atomic number) should be in the center of the structure. Finally, try to arrange the atoms so that they have the most stable formal charges possible.

4. Can octathiocane have any resonance structures?

No, octathiocane cannot have resonance structures because all the sulfur atoms are identical and the bonding is evenly distributed around the ring structure.

5. How does drawing a Lewis Dot Structure help us understand the properties of octathiocane?

Drawing a Lewis Dot Structure for octathiocane can help us understand its properties by showing the arrangement of electrons and the types of bonds present. For example, the ring structure of octathiocane suggests that it is a stable molecule, and the single bonds between sulfur atoms indicate that it is a nonpolar molecule. Additionally, the structure can help us predict physical and chemical properties, such as boiling point and reactivity.