I was just wondering how light comes to be, from light bulbs or flash

In summary, the production of light from light bulbs or flashlights is caused by an electric field applied to the wire, which allows electrons to flow through the filament. These electrons collide with the material, producing heat and causing the tungsten filament to glow and emit white light due to the vibration of electrons. This light is in the form of photons, which are particles emitted from the light bulb. However, the process of light production is more complex than just emitting "little bullets" and involves millions of heat<>light conversions before visible light is seen outside.
fiziks dood
i was just wondering how light comes to be, from light bulbs or flash lights...
is it energy transferred through the particles in the air?

I'm still new to physics and am curous about this :tongue:

Science news on Phys.org

An Electric field is applied to the wire and electrons start to flow and they flow through the filament and while these electrons are flowing they have all these collisions inside the material and that produces heat, And the tungsten filament starts to glow red and then eventually glows white hot producing white light. The light is cause by vibrating electrons in the material. And then particles of light called photons are shot off like little bullets from the light bulb. Light is produced from oscillating charged particles. We have to be careful, light is a little more complicated than little bullets tho.

i think i got the concept, thanks cragar :)

cragar said:
An Electric field is applied to the wire and electrons start to flow and they flow through the filament and while these electrons are flowing they have all these collisions inside the material and that produces heat, And the tungsten filament starts to glow red and then eventually glows white hot producing white light. The light is cause by vibrating electrons in the material. And then particles of light called photons are shot off like little bullets from the light bulb. Light is produced from oscillating charged particles. We have to be careful, light is a little more complicated than little bullets tho.

Since the OP's question is answered, let me use this thread for a related question.

Does the electrons deep inside the material contribute to the light emission, or it is only the peripheral atoms? Let me think aloud: an inside electron created a visible light particle, but the material is opaque to light. The surrounding atoms (still deep inside the material) receive the light and converts it into heat energy. The heat energy causes it to emit more light. Such millions of (depending on the number of atoms in the material) heat<>light conversions happen before we see the light outside. Am I correct?

Hello there,

That's a great question! Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, which means it is made up of electric and magnetic fields that travel through space. When we turn on a light bulb or a flash light, we are essentially creating a flow of electricity through a filament or a battery, which then excites the atoms in the bulb or flashlight and causes them to emit light. This process is called incandescence.

In the case of a light bulb, the electricity flows through a thin tungsten filament, which has a very high melting point. As the electricity passes through the filament, it heats up the tungsten and causes it to emit light. In a flashlight, the electricity flows through a battery and then through a thin wire called a filament, which is coated with a material that glows when heated.

So, to answer your question, light is not transferred through particles in the air, but rather it is created by exciting the atoms in the light source and causing them to emit light. I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Keep exploring and asking questions about physics - it's a fascinating subject!

1. How do light bulbs produce light?

Light bulbs produce light through a process called incandescence. This is when electricity flows through a filament inside the bulb, which heats up and produces light. The filament is usually made of tungsten, which has a high melting point and can withstand the high temperatures produced by the flow of electricity.

2. What is the difference between incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs?

Incandescent light bulbs produce light through heat, while fluorescent light bulbs use a gas and electricity to create light. Fluorescent bulbs are more energy-efficient and last longer than incandescent bulbs, but they contain small amounts of mercury which can be harmful if the bulb breaks.

3. How does a flash work in a camera?

A flash in a camera works by using a small burst of light to illuminate a scene. This light is produced by a flashbulb, which contains a wire that heats up when electricity is passed through it. This wire then ignites the magnesium or zirconium inside the bulb, creating a bright flash of light.

4. Can light be created or destroyed?

No, light cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or electrical energy. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred.

5. How does light travel from a light source to our eyes?

Light travels in the form of electromagnetic waves. When a light source, such as a light bulb or flash, is turned on, it emits these waves in all directions. Some of these waves enter our eyes and are detected by our retina, which then sends signals to our brain to interpret the light as an image.