Could an Infection Trigger Visual Snow Syndrome?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Smartoad
  • Start date
In summary, a person visited an optometrist to discuss their ongoing condition of visual snow, which is described as seeing TV static over vision and worsening at night. The optometrist explained that this was caused by proteins in the jelly behind the pupil, but the person questioned why the static was multicolored and constant. They also asked if their ongoing nose infection could be related to the visual snow, and if the white blood cells fighting the infection would be visible in their eyes. They reached out to others with the same condition for information and were advised to seek medical advice from an ophthalmologist rather than relying on internet advice.
Smartoad
I recently saw an optometrist and told him about an ongoing condition i have that is referred to as visual snow. Visual snow is like TV static but over your vision, and gets worse at night. He told me that what I was seeing was the proteins in the jelly stuff behind my pupil and stuff, but this doesn't explain why they are multicolored and constant. Also, related to the Visual snow condition, if he is correct about seeing the proteins and white blood cells and such, would an ongoing nose problem that relates to an infection have anything to do with the visual snow? If it is an infection then would the massive increase in white blood cells to try and stop the infection be visible in my eyes, because the infection would be near them?

If anyone else has the same condition as me, then please post what you know about it, if not, then please tell me if what is happening and my conclusions are plausible.

Biology news on Phys.org
Probably best not to seek your medical advice regarding eye care over the internet. Go see an ophthalmologist or your primary care doc first if you need a referral.

Our policy here restricts us from giving medical diagnoses.

I agree with bobze. The professional you saw, an optometrist, is in the business of selling glasses. You need to see an eye physician, an ophthalmologist.

An optometrist is a technician, not a doctor, go see an opthamologist.

I can understand your concern and curiosity about your condition, known as visual snow. It is important to note that visual snow is a relatively rare disorder and there is still much to be learned about its causes and mechanisms. While it is always best to consult with a medical professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan, I can provide some information and insights based on my knowledge as a scientist.

Firstly, let's address the explanation given by the optometrist regarding the proteins and white blood cells in the jelly-like substance behind your pupil. While this may be a possible explanation, it is not the only one. Visual snow has been linked to various neurological conditions, such as migraines and epilepsy, and it is possible that there is a malfunction in the visual processing pathways of the brain. This could result in the perception of static-like visual disturbances.

Additionally, the presence of an ongoing nose infection may or may not be related to your visual snow. It is possible that the infection is causing inflammation in the sinuses, which are located close to the eyes, and this could potentially impact your visual perception. However, there is no clear evidence to suggest a direct correlation between the two.

In terms of the white blood cells and their visibility in the eyes, it is unlikely that you would be able to see them with the naked eye. White blood cells are much smaller than the proteins in the eye and would not be visible unless there is a significant amount of them, which would indicate a severe infection.

Lastly, I understand your desire to connect with others who may have the same condition as you. However, it is important to remember that every individual's experience with visual snow may be different and it is always best to seek professional medical advice for your specific case.

In conclusion, while there is still much to be understood about visual snow, it is important to continue seeking medical guidance and keeping an open mind about potential causes and treatments. I encourage you to continue researching and learning about your condition, but also to trust in the expertise of medical professionals for accurate information and care.

1. What is an optometrist?

An optometrist is a healthcare professional who specializes in the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of eye diseases and vision problems.

2. Why should I see an optometrist?

Regular visits to an optometrist are important for maintaining eye health and detecting any potential vision problems early on. They can also prescribe corrective lenses or recommend other treatments to improve your vision.

3. How often should I see an optometrist?

It is recommended to see an optometrist at least once a year for a routine eye exam. However, if you have existing eye conditions or a family history of eye disease, you may need to visit more frequently.

4. What happens during an eye exam with an optometrist?

During an eye exam, the optometrist will check your visual acuity, eye muscle function, and overall eye health. They may also perform additional tests to check for conditions such as glaucoma, cataracts, or macular degeneration.

5. Can an optometrist prescribe medication?

Optometrists are licensed to prescribe certain medications for the treatment of eye diseases and infections. However, they cannot prescribe medications for other health conditions. If you have a medical condition that requires medication, you may need to see a different healthcare provider.