1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law and kinetic energy

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An empty room in a house near the Atlantic coast has a volume of 45m3. What is the kinetic energy of all of the gas molecules in the room on a 30C summer day?

2. Relevant equations
    pv = nrt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realize that this is an ideal gas law problem, but I have no idea where to start. How can I solve for anything if I'm only given volume and temperature?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You are on the right track. Maybe start here?
  4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    Okay, so I use the equation PV = (2/3)K. I assumed that the pressure is the standard 1 atm. Plugging everything into the equation:

101300 Pa (45 m3) = (2/3)K
    K = 6837750 J

But the computer is telling me that this is the wrong answer. Did I do something wrong?
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

I think perhaps you want to use the relationship that KE = 3/2*k*T
    That gives you the KE per particle and you can figure the number of particles from the Volume at 30° C = 303° K.
    The k here is Boltzmann's constant 1.38 *10-23 J/°K

Noting that the volume of air occupied by 1000 moles of air is given here:

With 41 (1000/24.466) moles of air per m3 *45 m3 ... then you should be able to figure the total KE for that many moles of air in a 45 m3 room.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?