Ideas for Math/Computer Project

In summary, the individual is seeking topic suggestions for their math project, which requires them to demonstrate the power of mathematics through the use of a computer. They do not have access to supercomputers and are looking for ideas that can be done on a normal home computer at a high school level. They mention having some knowledge of C++ and BASIC but no programming skills. They also mention having the Mathematica software. The project is due in one month and they need to inform their teacher of their topic in two weeks. They are open to higher level projects if feasible. One suggestion is to use Microsoft Excel to demonstrate simple harmonic motion and to calculate pi using logic and the identity \cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) = \sqrt{ \
The ideas posted so far are great, so thanks a lot guys. However, I'm wondering if there is anyway I can use simple methods for factoring large numbers in computers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by recon
The ideas posted so far are great, so thanks a lot guys. However, I'm wondering if there is anyway I can use simple methods for factoring large numbers in computers?

Ah, of course -- cryptography. Computational complexity is, of course, a real issue here. You might as well use a naive approach. I think the current best approach is 'eliptical factoring' or something similar. Certainly not all that great.

Originally posted by Damned charming :)

I page that formaly proves that x = cos(t) when k/m = 1 would be
http://www.upei.ca/~physics/polson/course/P112/notes/ch13/ch13.pdf
If you don't like it google search " simple harmonic motion proof" from a different page.

I have read the physics lecture about simple harmonic motion (at least the first 8 pages). I think you assume the phase constant to be zero. What is a phase constant?

According to this formula:
[tex] x = A cos ( \omega t) [/tex]
The object is at the amplitute when the time starts. However, according to this formula:
[tex] x = A sin ( \omega t) [/tex]
The object is at the middle of its motion when the time starts. Both are true, but they apply to different cases (which differ in when you start to measuring the time).

To solve this we add a phase shift, [tex]\phi[/tex] to the formulas. This constant basically tells you were the object was when you started to measure time. If we consider this formula: (and again, both sin and cos can be used; they will just have a different phase shift constant)
[tex] x_{(t)} = A\sin (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
Then if [tex]\phi = 0[/tex], the object was in the middle when time started. However if [tex]\phi = \pi / 2[/tex] then the object was in one of the amplitudes when time started. These are the obvious numbers, but if for example [tex]\phi = \pi / 6[/tex] you need to find [tex]x(t)[/tex] for [tex]t = 0[/tex]:
[tex]x_{(t = 0)} = A\sin (\omega t + \frac{\pi}{6}) = A\sin (\frac{\pi}{6}) = \frac{A}{2}[/tex]
Therefore if [tex]\phi = \pi / 6[/tex] the object is halfway between the amplitude and the middle when time started.

The phase constant is easy to understand if you know that
" out of phase" means "out of synchronization"

If I started playing a song over and over and 20 seconds later
you started playing the same song over and over we would 20 seconds out of phase

I will give a numerical example that you could check using Chen's
method of exactly deriving the equation.
( please note that w is supposed to be omega but my keyboard cannot type the code for omega at the moment).

If you had two identical springs and stretched the first at time 0 and let it go then the displacement of the first spring is given by
[tex] x_1 = A cos(w t) [/tex]

if you waited 20 second and stretched the other spring at let go
its displacement would be
[tex] x_2 = A cos(w (t-20)) = A cos(wt - w20) [/tex]

Notice that and the springs are out of phase by 20 seconds and the phase constant is w20.

Last edited:
Might be easiest to understand the nature of [tex]\phi[/tex] by seeing how the simple harmonic motion related to the uniform circular motion:
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/shm/shm.html
[tex]\phi[/tex] is the simply the angle between the horizontal-left radius of the circle and the inital position of the black ball. In that Java applet, [tex]\phi = 0[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
So, for calculating cos(t) it doesn't really matter what [tex]\phi [/tex] is (or where the object started oscillating), but we keep the value to 0 or 2[tex]\pi[/tex] because cos(t) has a cycle of 2[tex]\pi[/tex]?

I don't really follow but I am assuming you are pointing out that
cos(t - pi/4) looks exactly the same as cos(t) just shifted over, and if you are interested in how a spring moves with time it simplifies things a bit if you set t=0 to be a case where x=A.
this makes the equation x= cos(t) not something like cos(t-pi/4).