What are some ideas for useful programming projects?

In summary, the programmer is having difficulty coming up with ideas for projects to work on, and is looking for help. There are many resources available, including project ideas from Martyr2 and suggestions for projects to make from the conversation.
trollcast
Gold Member
I'm trying to learn a bit more programming but I'm no good at following books or tutorials as I have learned everything so far by just trying something and if it doesn't work, google for it then move on to the next bug.

Problem is I've ran out of ideas for small things to make so I'm thinking on making something a bit bigger that will take be maybe a week or more to work on, trouble is I've got no idea what to make.

Anyone care to suggest some things I could look at making?

Technology news on Phys.org
There's a good list of project ideas courtesy of Martyr2 over at DreamInCode.

And might I also direct you to Project Euler, over 400 numbery problems for you to sink your teeth into - none of them require particularly large programs, but many of them will push you to find an efficient algorithm.

Have fun out there!

How about a compiler, or a small operating system? That will probably take more than a week to finish, but I learned more about programming in my compiler and OS classes than I did in any data structures or programming class.

Thanks,

I have tried some of the project euler problems but I can't get the maths in them sometimes.

I might try to make a compiler for the really simple basic-like language that our computing textbook uses. Any good links to start with? Also do you need to use c / c++ for a compiler or would java / python work?

Actually I just had a bit of an idea but I'm not sure how feasible it would be?

I'm thinking something like a virtual stock exchange with a couple of companies (but make it expandable) and use random functions and stuff to control their prices and program events to occur at certain rates like a recession like drop in price every 10 game years.

Then with a bit of work I could make a bit of a game out of it if I was able to make it realistic enough.

Sounds like fun. :)

Spend some time working out the design, keep it simple and modular, and you can add things on once you have a core program working. It's definitely feasible.

My suggestion is to make something that would be useful for you in your everyday life. What annoys you? Try to automate it. For example, write a program that manipulates files and backs up your most important personal data for you to an outside media. Maybe zip the files (and password lock them?) on the way to storage. You'll learn a ton.

1. What factors should I consider when coming up with ideas for programs?

There are a few key factors to consider when brainstorming ideas for programs. First, think about your target audience and their needs or interests. You should also consider the current trends and advancements in technology to ensure your program will be relevant and useful. Additionally, think about your own skills and expertise to determine what type of program you are capable of creating.

2. How can I ensure my program is unique and not already available?

To ensure your program is unique, it's important to research and familiarize yourself with existing programs in the same category. Look for gaps or areas of improvement that you can address with your own program. You can also gather feedback from potential users to see what features they would like to see in a program like yours.

3. How do I determine the scope and complexity of my program?

Determining the scope and complexity of your program will depend on various factors such as your target audience, purpose of the program, and your own capabilities. Start by outlining the main features and functionalities of your program and then prioritize them based on importance. Consider starting with a simpler version and then adding more complex features as you gain experience and receive feedback from users.

4. How can I ensure my program is user-friendly?

To ensure your program is user-friendly, it's important to design it with the end-user in mind. This means considering the user's level of technical skills, providing clear instructions and navigation, and incorporating feedback from user testing. It's also helpful to have a friend or colleague test your program and provide honest feedback on its usability.

5. What resources are available to help me develop my program?

There are various resources available to help you develop your program. You can use online tutorials and courses to learn new programming languages or improve your skills. There are also online communities and forums where you can seek advice and support from other developers. Additionally, you can hire a professional programmer or collaborate with a team to bring your program to life.