Ideas on Existence: Gravity, Light, Time & Beyond

In summary: Outside our universe is there a complete vacuum of everything. In summary, Just wondering a few wonders out, Just clearing my understanding of The Way Things Are (only a lot harsher than babe had to deal with), My current understanding of things (not that which has been learnt, but which has been evolved to make things easier to understand) is that everything can be thought of as waves in a 3d pond. Kind of the same as sound, only the ripples and compressions are made in the various dimensions. Very complex patterns in the way each dimension reacts with every other dimension represent what we are, or what everything is. Sounds silly as i type it, but something that needs to be cleared up. This would mean that what
wierd101
Just wondering a few wonders out (i don't have much knowledge about physics and stuff, just the basics, so don't expect me to not ask questions that don't make sense to some, or to know answers that should be obvious). Just too much thinking time on my hands.

First, just wondering if a test has been done to see if gravity is faster than light or slower, or if this can only be done mathematically (being that gravity is part of the whole dimension thingy), or if the relationships of time, gravity and light, make it impossible to tell.

Second, just clearing my understanding of The Way Things Are (only a lot harsher than babe had to deal with). My current understanding of things (not that which has been learnt, but which has been evolved to make things easier to understand) is that everything can be thought of as waves in a 3d pond. Kind of the same as sound, only the ripples and compressions are made in the various dimensions. Very complex patterns in the way each dimension reacts with every other dimension represent what we are, or what everything is. Sounds silly as i type it, but something that needs to be cleared up. This would mean that what we call space is not, in fact, a complete vacuum of everything, it simply doesn't have as much in certain dimensional aspects. Only outside our universe is there a complete vacuum of everything.

*As this is the third time i have had to go through this (my computer has stopped halfway through me trying to think things through to words) i have kinda forgotten where i started, so bare with me (lucky i managed to save some of the above). Feel free to ask about anything that is hazy.*-*make this the 4th time, power down from power lightning or wind - i think that someone is out there to stop me from posting this ;p*

I'm not sure what einstein had to say about leaving the universe, but it seems to me that the main reason it would be impossible to leave is that the edge of the universe is where the dimensional matrix is expanding into nothing. So if we cannot travel faster than light, we cannot travel faster than the universe is expanding, hence we cannot leave it. Even if we did somehow manage to pop into existence outside the universe, we would become our own universe and spread out very fast. I am guessing that this is where string theory comes in with its 'branes' and the chances of collisions between universes (not that i know anything else about them other than the name and something vague that i can't quite remember).

Can't seem to remember anything else for now, so feel free to point out where i went wrong (even if that was at the point where i began wondering).

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess this means that either:
*nobody understood a word i said
*i had no idea what i was saying
*nobody actually finds it interesting

I'm hoping for the "nobody understanding a word i said" scenario. It was typed over a couple of months (after the first few times i kinda gave up until i got the computer working again).

Anyone able to tell me if i got even remotely close to the current understanding of physics?

I’m not a physicist but I’ll give it a shot-
wierd101 said:
…just wondering if a test has been done to see if gravity is faster than light or slower…
Just as an electric field surrounds an electron, a gravitational field surrounds an object having mass. The Earth has gravity, but the gravity doesn’t move independent of the Earth, so we can't speak of it having a speed. There are, however, gravitational waves that travel at the speed of light (C). Several experiments are underway to detect the waves but have not yet succeeded. If such waves exist, they will have an associated quantum particle, the graviton. The quantum particle of a light wave is the photon. A gravity wave might arise from a massive object rapidly changing mass such as an exploding star.
wierd101 said:
…everything can be thought of as waves in a 3d pond. Kind of the same as sound, only the ripples and compressions are made in the various dimensions. Very complex patterns in the way each dimension reacts with every other dimension represent what we are, or what everything is. Sounds silly as…
Not silly, probably most of us have tried to visualize the universe without success. I feel that no one ever will. Future researchers will express space-time as a series of mathematical equations such that only the most gifted among us will have a glimpse of nature.
wierd101 said:
…what we call space is not, in fact, a complete vacuum of everything, it simply doesn't have as much in certain dimensional aspects. Only outside our universe is there a complete vacuum of everything. …
Nothing is devoid of energy, even the vacuum of space. The vacuum contains energy that may cause the universe to undergo accelerated expansion and is sometimes referred to as ‘dark energy’. There may be an outside of our universe but it is not accessible to us and never will be, so it’s meaningless to consider it except as a mathematical occurrence in some theories.
wierd101 said:
…I'm not sure what einstein had to say about leaving the universe, but it seems to me that the main reason it would be impossible to leave is that the edge of the universe is where the dimensional matrix is expanding into nothing. …So if we cannot travel faster than light, we cannot travel faster than the universe is expanding, hence we cannot leave it. …
The universe is the universe, it is the beginning and the end, it is everything, there is no inside, there is no outside, there is no center, and there is no end. There is an end to the visible universe, that end is the furthest point that light has traveled since shortly after the big bang. The furthest photon, moving along at the speed of light is not moving into “nothingness”, it is moving within the universe
wierd101 said:
Even if we did somehow manage to pop into existence outside the universe, we would become our own universe and spread out very fast. I am guessing that this is where string theory comes in with its 'branes' and the chances of collisions between universes…
Quantum theories have not yet been able to combine all the forces of nature into a unified field theory, gravity being the lone holdout. String theories as well as their offshoot mem(brane) theories may resolve the problem, but the math and underlying physical concepts are far beyond my grasp (as is much of quantum theory). We will never physically be able to leave our universe, nor will any information be able to be passed from one universe to another no matter what future technological advances are made. If the theory of everything becomes a law, and finds the multi-verse scenario is true, we are still trapped within our own.

GENIERE said:
..We will never physically be able to leave our universe, nor will any information be able to be passed from one universe to another no matter what future technological advances are made...
Perhaps not--see this link about concept of spinning black holes that as an hypothesis allow travel between universes:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_black_hole

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that attracts objects with mass to one another. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy.

2. How does light travel and what is its speed?

Light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that travels in waves. These waves do not require a medium to travel through and can travel through a vacuum. The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, making it the fastest known phenomenon in the universe.

3. What is the concept of time and is it relative?

Time is a fundamental aspect of our existence that allows us to measure the duration of events and the sequence in which they occur. In Einstein's theory of relativity, time is considered relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.

4. What existed before the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. Therefore, it is not possible to determine what existed before the Big Bang as we know it marks the beginning of time and space.

5. How do theories on existence help us understand the universe?

Theories on existence, such as gravity, light, and time, help us make sense of the universe and its workings. They provide a framework for understanding the fundamental forces and phenomena that shape our reality. They also allow us to make predictions and advancements in science and technology.