Identifying Hydrogen Spectrum Line

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a diffraction grating to observe a blue line in Hydrogen's spectrum. The question is raised about which transition and series this line corresponds to. The conversation also mentions the use of the generalized Balmer formula to determine the observed wavelength and series. Through calculations, it is determined that the blue line corresponds to a 4-2 transition in the Balmer series.
InSpiRatioNy
URGENT spectrum lines

Homework Statement

A diffraction grating (with 10,000 lines per cm) is held 2 meters from a Hydrogen lamp (lamp which emits
Hydrogen’s spectrum). As you look through the diffraction grating a blue line is observed to lie 1.11 meters on either
side of the lamp.
1) What transition (from initial n to final n) does this blue line correspond to?
2) What series does this line belong to?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found these two relevant sites: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/H/hydrogen_spectrum.html But I'm still pretty confused with these two parts, I'm not sure where to start/what to do (I've already done all of the rest of the question)

Physics news on Phys.org

What you can work out from those two parts ( The generalized Balmer formula ) is your observed wavelength.

In which part of the electromagnetic spectrum is your observed colour? If I am now mistaken, once you know that, you'll be left with one uknown

I'm still confused, so I got theta = 0.51 rad and lambda (wavelength) = 485 nm, I know E = -13.6 eV/n^2

How do I determine what transition it is? How do I get it? I know how to determine the series after I get this.

By now you should already know which series it is. In fact you didn't even have to solve anything to know which series it is as you were told the observed colour

Look up the generalized Balmer formula again:

[tex] \frac {1}{\lambda} = R ( \frac{1}{{n{_1}}^2}-\frac{1}{{n{_2}}^2}) [/tex]

You already know the wavelength. And after you figure out which series it is ( look up the drawing in this link again http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/H/hydrogen_spectrum.html ) you'll be left with one unknow which you have to find.

Is it a 4-2 tansition?

:smile: Yep, if the wavelength is 485nm it should be 4-2

Perfect! Thanks!

1. What is the hydrogen spectrum line?

The hydrogen spectrum line is a series of spectral lines or wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted by hydrogen atoms when they are excited to higher energy levels. These lines correspond to the energy differences between the different energy levels of the hydrogen atom.

2. How do scientists identify the hydrogen spectrum line?

Scientists use a technique called spectroscopy to identify the hydrogen spectrum line. This involves passing light emitted by a hydrogen gas through a prism or diffraction grating, which separates the light into its component wavelengths. The resulting spectrum shows distinct lines at specific wavelengths, which correspond to the hydrogen spectrum line.

3. Why is the hydrogen spectrum line important?

The hydrogen spectrum line is important because it provides valuable information about the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. By studying the spectrum, scientists can determine the energy levels and transitions of the hydrogen atom, which has implications in fields such as astrophysics, chemistry, and quantum mechanics.

4. What are the different series of the hydrogen spectrum line?

The hydrogen spectrum line consists of several series, including the Lyman series in the ultraviolet region, the Balmer series in the visible region, and the Paschen, Brackett, and Pfund series in the infrared region. Each series corresponds to transitions from higher energy levels to the n=1 energy level in the hydrogen atom.

5. How is the hydrogen spectrum line used in research?

The hydrogen spectrum line is used in various research areas, such as astrophysics, to study the composition and temperature of stars and the interstellar medium. It is also used in laboratory experiments to study the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules. Additionally, the hydrogen spectrum line plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as lasers and atomic clocks.