Identifying Self-Adjoint Operators

• Thread starter hbweb500
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, A is self-adjoint and real, has real orthogonal eigenvectors and real eigenvalues which form a basis of R2, and can be diagonalized to give U^\ast \Lambda U.
hbweb500

Homework Statement

If A has eigenvalues 0 and 1, corresponding to the eigenvectors (1,2) and (2, -1), how can one tell in advance that A is self-adjoint and real.

Homework Equations

e=m^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can show that A is real: it has real orthogonal eigenvectors and real eigenvalues which form a basis of R2, so any real vector is transformed by A to another vector in R2. It follows that all of the components of A are real.

Showing that the matrix is self-adjoint, however, is trickier for me. I know that eigenvectors corresponding to distinct eigenvalues of a self-adjoint matrix are orthogonal, and clearly these eigenvectors are orthogonal. However, I don't think is is a sufficient condition. If a matrix has two orthogonal eigenvectors, surely that doesn't mean it is self-adjoint, right?

So how can you know at a glance (that is, without reconstructing A by finding the unitary operators formed by taking its eigenvectors as columns), that A is self-adjoint?

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues?
What can you say about any conjugate of a self-adjoint matrix?

Perhaps it'd be easier if you noted that a self-adjoint matrix which is real, is simply a symmetric matrix.

rochfor1 said:
What can you say about the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues?
What can you say about any conjugate of a self-adjoint matrix?

I'm not quite getting why these are relevant. The conjugate of a self-adjoint matrix A is just A transposed. Not sure what is so interesting about the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues...

Write down the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues in this situation. Write down its adjoint. Can you see a relationship?

Think about how the original matrix A and the diagonal matrix of eigenvalues are related.

Edit: Oh, I missed you had written this:
So how can you know at a glance (that is, without reconstructing A by finding the unitary operators formed by taking its eigenvectors as columns), that A is self-adjoint?
Construct the matrix with the eigenvectors as columns. Do you notice anything about it?

Bam!, I think I have it.

A is diagonalizable, so...

[tex]A = U^\ast \Lambda U[/tex]

And so:

[tex]A^\ast = U^\ast \Lambda ^\ast U[/tex]

But the eigenvalues are all real, so big lambda is self-adjoint, and we can say that:

[tex] A^\ast = U^\ast \Lambda U = A[/tex]

I think that does it. Cool beans.

Related to Identifying Self-Adjoint Operators

1. What is a self-adjoint operator?

A self-adjoint operator is a linear operator on a Hilbert space that is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, the operator and its adjoint have the same representation and are essentially the same operator.

2. How do you identify a self-adjoint operator?

To identify a self-adjoint operator, you must check if the operator is equal to its adjoint. This can be done by taking the inner product of the operator with a vector and comparing it to the inner product of the vector with the adjoint of the operator. If they are equal, then the operator is self-adjoint.

3. What is the significance of self-adjoint operators?

Self-adjoint operators have many important properties in mathematics and physics. They are closely related to Hermitian matrices and have real eigenvalues. They also play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy.

4. How are self-adjoint operators different from other linear operators?

Self-adjoint operators are different from other linear operators because they are equal to their adjoints. This means that they have real eigenvalues and their eigenfunctions form a complete set, allowing for easier analysis and calculation. In contrast, other linear operators may not have these properties.

5. Are all operators on a Hilbert space self-adjoint?

No, not all operators on a Hilbert space are self-adjoint. In order for an operator to be self-adjoint, it must satisfy certain conditions, such as being bounded and having a domain that is dense in the Hilbert space. However, many important operators, such as the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics, are self-adjoint.