Identities for covariant derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the covariant derivative in spherical coordinates and the calculation of the gradient and divergence of a vector field. The person is confused about the correct expressions for these calculations and realizes they have been using the wrong basis vectors. They also mention that their approach gives the correct result for the Laplacian operator. The conversation ends with them attempting to solve their issue with the divergence calculation.
CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi.

I'm considering the covariant derivative
[tex]\nabla_\mu V^\nu = \partial_\mu V^\nu + \Gamma_{\mu\nu}^\lambda V^\lambda[/tex]
in spherical coordinates in flat 3D space (x = r cos sin, y = r sin sin, z = r cos; usual stuff).

Now I wrote down the gradient of a scalar function f, for which I got [itex]\nabla_\mu f = \partial_\mu f[/itex] (having constructed the derivative to reduce to the ordinary partial derivative on scalars) which is of course not correct, it should be something like
[itex] \partial_r f, \frac{1}{r} \partial_\theta f \text{ and } \frac{1}{r \sin\theta} \partial_\phi f[/itex] for the three components.

Same when I try to derive an expression for the divergence of a vector field, and then I need to show that it is the same as the familiar
[tex]\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^2 V^1) + \frac{1}{r \sin\theta} \frac{\partial}{\partial\theta} (\sin\theta V^2) + \frac{1}{r \sin\theta} \frac{\partial V^3}{\partial \phi}[/tex]
Of course,
[tex]\nabla_\mu V^\nu = \partial_\mu V^\mu + \Gamma_{\mu\mu}^\nu V^\nu[/tex]
(that must be correct) but if plug in the connection coefficients I calculated, I get an otherwise correct result, except there are some factors 1/r and 1/r sin theta missing.

I have a feeling I'm mixing up my coordinate systems here, but how?

I did get the right result for the Laplacian [itex]\nabla^2 f[/itex] by the way ... isn't that odd?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some of your calculations?

The one for the gradient seems clear.
For the divergence:

Non-zero connection coefficients are
[tex]
\begin{array}{rcl}
\Gamma^\phi_{r \phi} =
\Gamma^\phi_{\phi r} &=& \frac{1}{r} \\
\Gamma^r_{\theta\theta} &=& -r \\
\Gamma^\theta_{\phi\phi} &=& -\sin\theta \cos\theta \\
\Gamma^\theta_{r \theta} =
\Gamma^\theta_{\theta r} &=& \frac{1}{r} \\
\Gamma^r_{\phi\phi} &=& -r \sin^2 \theta \\
\Gamma^\phi_{\theta\phi} =
\Gamma^\phi_{\phi\theta} &=& \tan^{-1} \theta \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

Then I did (just filling in, I used Mathematica - forgive me for sinning :smile:) [tex]\partial_\mu V^\mu + \Gamma_{\mu\nu}^\mu V^{\nu}[/tex] where [itex]V^\mu(r, \theta, \phi)[/itex] are the components of the vector field.
This gave me
[tex]\frac{2 V^1(r,\theta ,\phi )}{r}+\cot (\theta ) V^2(r,\theta ,\phi )+ \partial_\phi V^3(r,\theta ,\phi )+\partial_\theta V^2{}(r,\theta ,\phi )+\partial_r V^1(r,\theta,\phi )[/tex]
which should be
[tex]\frac{2 V^1(r,\theta ,\phi )}{r}+\frac{\cot (\theta ) V^2(r,\theta ,\phi )}{r}+\frac{\csc (\theta ) \partial_\phi V^3(r,\theta ,\phi
)}{r}+\frac{V^2(r,\theta ,\phi )}{r}+\partial_rV^1(r,\theta ,\phi )[/tex]
Quite straightforward in principle, but wrong answer in practice.

Last edited:
But perhaps you can first explain it for the gradient, as that's the basic case. I get
[tex]\nabla_\mu f = \partial_\mu f[/tex]
for [itex]\mu = r, \theta, \phi[/itex]. Where do the prefactors (1, 1/r, 1/r sin[itex]\theta[/itex]) come from?

Normally, you would find them by taking partials of x, y, z w.r.t. r, theta, phi. But in this case, I don't think x, y and z are even involved, since we just have a coordinate chart with coordinates r, theta, phi and a metric (which is induced by the flat metric, but we might as well have just defined it as it is).

And I am also curious why my approach - which is obviously wrong in some way - does give the right result for the Laplacian operator.

OK, the problem was of course that my basis vectors (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0) and (0, 0, 1) are not the unit vectors that are in the familiar formula for the gradient.
Calculating the length of the basis vectors by multiplying by the metric diag(1, r^2, (r sin theta)^2) gives exactly the factors I was missing.

For the Laplacian, we plug in a scalar and get a scalar back, so this is not necessary, therefore I got the correct result.

Going to try if this solves my problem with the divergence as well now.

1. What is a covariant derivative?

A covariant derivative is a mathematical operator used in differential geometry to measure how a vector field changes along a curve or surface. It is a generalization of the ordinary derivative to curved spaces and takes into account the curvature of the space.

2. What is the purpose of a covariant derivative?

The covariant derivative allows for the differentiation of vector fields in curved spaces, which is necessary for many physical theories such as general relativity. It also provides a way to define parallel transport of vectors along a curve or surface.

3. How is the covariant derivative different from the ordinary derivative?

The covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of the space, while the ordinary derivative does not. This means that the covariant derivative of a vector field will depend not only on the function itself, but also on the geometry of the space in which it is defined.

4. What are some important identities for covariant derivatives?

Some important identities for covariant derivatives include the Leibniz rule, which expresses the derivative of a product in terms of the derivatives of the individual factors, and the commutator identity, which relates the covariant derivative of a vector field in two different directions to the curvature of the space.

5. How are covariant derivatives used in physics?

Covariant derivatives are used extensively in physics, particularly in the theory of general relativity. They are used to define the equations of motion for particles and to describe the behavior of fields in curved spacetime. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as in gauge theories and in the study of fluid dynamics.