1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity element for matrices

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    For a set S, there is an identity element e with respect to operation * such that for an element a in S: a*e = e*a = a.

For a matrix B that is m x n, the identity element for matrix multiplication e = I should satisfy IB = BI = B. But for IB, I is m x m, whereas for BI, I is n x n. Doesn't this mean that the two identity elements are different?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If m is not equal to n, then, for b an m x n matrix, b*a maps a m dimensional vector to an n dimensional vector. a*b maps an n dimensional vector to an m dimensional vector. for m not equal to n, b*a= a and a*b= a are both impossible and there is no identity matrix.

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    So for such cases, would we just say there is a right identity matrix and a left identity matrix? If this was the case, then wouldn't it also imply that the identity mapping is not unique (x2 - x2 + x = x - x + x)? I was thinking (just right now) that the identity mapping simply depended on the form I(x) = x, in which a mapping is defined through the correspondence between a domain and codomain rather than the process through which the mapping occurs. In the same sense, would we say that an identity matrix is simply a matrix that follows the Kronecker delta form regardless of its dimensions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook