Is there a unique identity element for matrices?

In summary, for a set S with an operation *, there exists an identity element e such that a*e = e*a = a for any element a in S. Similarly, for a matrix B that is m x n, the identity element for matrix multiplication e = I should satisfy IB = BI = B, but for different dimensions m and n, there is no unique identity matrix. In these cases, we can refer to a right identity matrix and a left identity matrix, but the identity mapping is not unique. An identity matrix is defined by the Kronecker delta form, regardless of its dimensions.
Gear300
For a set S, there is an identity element e with respect to operation * such that for an element a in S: a*e = e*a = a.

For a matrix B that is m x n, the identity element for matrix multiplication e = I should satisfy IB = BI = B. But for IB, I is m x m, whereas for BI, I is n x n. Doesn't this mean that the two identity elements are different?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If m is not equal to n, then, for b an m x n matrix, b*a maps a m dimensional vector to an n dimensional vector. a*b maps an n dimensional vector to an m dimensional vector. for m not equal to n, b*a= a and a*b= a are both impossible and there is no identity matrix.

HallsofIvy said:
If m is not equal to n, then, for b an m x n matrix, b*a maps a m dimensional vector to an n dimensional vector. a*b maps an n dimensional vector to an m dimensional vector. for m not equal to n, b*a= a and a*b= a are both impossible and there is no identity matrix.

So for such cases, would we just say there is a right identity matrix and a left identity matrix? If this was the case, then wouldn't it also imply that the identity mapping is not unique (x2 - x2 + x = x - x + x)? I was thinking (just right now) that the identity mapping simply depended on the form I(x) = x, in which a mapping is defined through the correspondence between a domain and codomain rather than the process through which the mapping occurs. In the same sense, would we say that an identity matrix is simply a matrix that follows the Kronecker delta form regardless of its dimensions?

FAQ: Is there a unique identity element for matrices?

1. What is the identity element for matrices?

The identity element for matrices is a square matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. It is typically denoted as I.

2. How does the identity element for matrices affect matrix multiplication?

The identity element for matrices, when multiplied with any other matrix, results in the original matrix. This means that the identity element has no effect on the matrix and acts as a neutral element in matrix multiplication.

3. Is the identity element for matrices unique?

Yes, the identity element for matrices is unique and is the same for all square matrices of the same size. For example, the identity element for a 3x3 matrix will always be a 3x3 matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

4. What is the difference between the identity element for matrices and the identity element for numbers?

The identity element for matrices is a matrix itself, while the identity element for numbers is a single number. The identity element for numbers is typically denoted as 1, while the identity element for matrices is denoted as I.

5. Why is the identity element for matrices important in linear algebra?

The identity element for matrices plays a crucial role in linear algebra as it serves as a reference point for matrix operations. It also helps simplify calculations and proofs, making it an important concept in understanding and solving problems in linear algebra.

Back