If a charged particle is released from rest....

In summary, the electric potential at point A is 9.87x10-6 coulombs. If a small charged particle with a mass of 5.0 mg and charge of 7.0 nC is released from rest, its final speed will be 2.4675x10-11 m/s.
Jus10

Homework Statement

F9D0D1C5-9B48-4538-BF46-BC96603529CC_zpsrjlbhk6a.jpg

[/B]
A) Calculate the electric potential at point A.

B) If a small charged particle with a mass m=5.0 mg and charge q=7.0 nC is released from rest at point A, what will be its final speed vf

Homework Equations

V=Kq/r
Uelec=qV
Uelec=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I calculated V for each point.

V=(Kq1/r1)+(Kq2/r2)+(Kq3/r3)
V=[(9x109)(2x10-9)/0.03]+[(9x109)(2x10-9)/0.04]+[(9x109)(2x10-9)/0.05]
V=600+450+360
V=1410

For part A, I converted all my nanocoulombs (nC) to Coulombs (C), as well as my centimeters (cm) to meters (m) before plugging them into my equation.

________________________________________________________________________________________

B) In order to calculate velocity (v), I need to calculate potential energy (Uelec).
Uelec=qV
Uelec=(7x10-9)(1410)
Uelec=9.87x10-6

Again, I convert the 7.0 nC into Coulombs for the 1st half of part B

Now I solved for velocity (v) after converting mass from mg to kg:
Uelec=1/2mv2
9.87x10-6=1/2(5x10-6)(v2)
v2=1/2(5x10-6)(9.87x10-6)
v2=2.4675x10-11
I then took the square root of both sides
v=5x10-6 m/s

It's asking for an assessment of the problem. "How does the velocity compare with a typical bullet's velocity, vbullet=120 m/s?"

I'm not sure there is even anything there to compare. With the velocity of the particle at v=0.000005 m/s, and the velocity of a typical bullet at v=120 m/s, the particle is substantially slower than the average bullet. So I must be doing something wrong when there is nothing there to compare.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jus10 said:
v2=1/2(5x10-6)(9.87x10-6)
There is an error going from the first line to the second.

ah. This is where my math skills are starting to show.

It appears I went the hard route and attempted to put the v2 on the left side the "=" when it could've remained on the right and rather move the 2.5x10-6 to the left.

If I were to manipulate the equation in this fashion:
9.87x10-6=2.5x10-6(v2)

then divide both sides by 2.5x10-6:
9.87x10-6/2.5x10-6=v2
3.948=v2

Take the square root of both sides:
v=1.99 m/s

That still seems like an extremely small number to be comparing to a much larger number. Does it not?

I think your answer is correct. Note that the value of the initial potential energy is small.

I apologize for the late reply. My truck's oil cooler o rings started leaking profusely and I had to rebuild my oil cooler.

I really appreciate both your help. TSny, when you say the value of the potential energy is small, are you reffering to the 7.0 nC charge for the charged particle moving from point A?

I apologize for the late reply. My truck's oil cooler o rings started leaking profusely and I had to rebuild my oil cooler.

Never mind. I answered my own question by going back and looking through my answer, realizing I calculated the potential energy.

Anyways, thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the guidance.

1. What is the initial velocity of the charged particle when released from rest?

The initial velocity of the charged particle is zero when released from rest. This means that the particle is not moving at the start, and its initial speed is 0 m/s.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of the charged particle when released from rest?

The acceleration of the charged particle is affected by the electric field strength, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle. These factors determine the force acting on the particle and therefore its acceleration.

3. How does the direction of the electric field affect the motion of the charged particle when released from rest?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force acting on the charged particle. If the electric field is positive, the force will be in the same direction as the electric field. If the electric field is negative, the force will be in the opposite direction.

4. What happens to the kinetic energy of the charged particle when released from rest in an electric field?

As the charged particle moves in an electric field, it gains kinetic energy due to its increasing speed. This kinetic energy is directly related to the particle's mass and velocity, and it will continue to increase as long as the particle is under the influence of the electric field.

5. Can a charged particle be held at rest in an electric field?

No, a charged particle cannot be held at rest in an electric field. As soon as the particle is released, it will experience a force and start moving. In order to keep the particle at rest, an equal and opposite force must be applied, which would cancel out the electric force acting on the particle.