1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If angle lies in second Quadrant?

1. Aug 24, 2009 #1
    If angle lies in second Quadrant??

Hey fellows I want to know that if angle lies in second quadrant but how,,, if it lies then some of its portion is in first quadrant and it would make this angle greater than 90 degress.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: If angle lies in second Quadrant??

Yes, angles in the second quadrant are greater than 90 degrees. Why is that a problem?

4. Aug 24, 2009 #3

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct, the angle is greater than 90 but less than 180 degrees.

5. Aug 24, 2009 #4

It is written in my bookthat if angle is in second quadrant then a point (x,y) on its terminal side has negative x cordinate and positive y cordinate ???:confused:

6. Aug 24, 2009 #5

The vertical axis (y-axis) is considered to be x = 0 (in the cartesian plane). Therefore, any point (x,y) in the second quadrant will have a negative x value and a positive y value.

Consult this link here if you require more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system

7. Aug 24, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi HussanAli! :wink:

I think you're confusing two different meanings of the word "angle" …

when we say "the angle lies in second quadrant", we mean that the "terminal side" of the angle does …

but of course, as you say, the "whole" angle also includes the first quadrant.

It's standard English to use the first meaning. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook