If angle lies in second Quadrant?

• Thread starter HussanAli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, angles in the second quadrant are greater than 90 degrees and less than 180 degrees. This is because the vertical axis (y-axis) is considered to be x = 0 in the Cartesian coordinate system, so any point in the second quadrant will have a negative x value and a positive y value. This may be confusing because the "whole" angle also includes the first quadrant, but in standard English, we use the first meaning.
HussanAli
If angle lies in second Quadrant??

Hey fellows I want to know that if angle lies in second quadrant but how,,, if it lies then some of its portion is in first quadrant and it would make this angle greater than 90 degress.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, angles in the second quadrant are greater than 90 degrees. Why is that a problem?

That is correct, the angle is greater than 90 but less than 180 degrees.

kuruman said:
That is correct, the angle is greater than 90 but less than 180 degrees.
It is written in my bookthat if angle is in second quadrant then a point (x,y) on its terminal side has negative x cordinate and positive y cordinate ?:confused:

HussanAli said:
It is written in my bookthat if angle is in second quadrant then a point (x,y) on its terminal side has negative x cordinate and positive y cordinate ?:confused:

The vertical axis (y-axis) is considered to be x = 0 (in the cartesian plane). Therefore, any point (x,y) in the second quadrant will have a negative x value and a positive y value.

Consult this link here if you require more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system

HussanAli said:
Hey fellows I want to know that if angle lies in second quadrant but how,,, if it lies then some of its portion is in first quadrant and it would make this angle greater than 90 degress.

Hi HussanAli! :wink:

I think you're confusing two different meanings of the word "angle" …

when we say "the angle lies in second quadrant", we mean that the "terminal side" of the angle does …

but of course, as you say, the "whole" angle also includes the first quadrant.

It's standard English to use the first meaning. :smile:

1. What is the definition of the second quadrant?

The second quadrant is the area on a coordinate plane where the x-coordinate is negative and the y-coordinate is positive. It is also known as the "top left" quadrant.

2. How do I know if an angle lies in the second quadrant?

If an angle is between 90 and 180 degrees, it lies in the second quadrant. Additionally, the terminal side of the angle must be in the top left area of the coordinate plane.

3. What are some examples of angles in the second quadrant?

Some examples of angles in the second quadrant are 120 degrees, 150 degrees, and 175 degrees. These angles all have a positive y-coordinate and a negative x-coordinate.

4. How can I find the reference angle of an angle in the second quadrant?

The reference angle of an angle in the second quadrant can be found by subtracting the angle from 180 degrees. For example, the reference angle of 150 degrees is 30 degrees (180 - 150 = 30).

5. What are the trigonometric functions of an angle in the second quadrant?

The sine and cosecant functions are positive in the second quadrant, while the cosine, tangent, secant, and cotangent functions are negative. This can be remembered using the acronym "All Students Take Calculus" (ASTC).