If center of galaxy is supermassive blackhole

In summary, the black hole at the center of the galaxy is very small compared to the size of the galaxy, and we cannot see it with telescopes. The center of the galaxy appears brighter because there are more stars there, but they are far outside the event horizon of the black hole. As for time passing slower near the black hole, this only happens very close to the black hole and we cannot observe it. The black hole at the center of our galaxy is estimated to be about 4 million solar masses and has a radius much smaller than 17 light hours. With radio interferometry, we may be able to directly observe the event horizon of the black hole at the center of our galaxy.
Chitose
than why center is the brightest part of galaxy? shouldn't black hole suck all the light in?

and if so, the more close to center of galaxy, the more time flow slower right?

English is not my native language, forgive me If I'm wrong in spelling or gamma

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The diameter of the black hole at the center of the galaxy is extremely small compared to the size of the galaxy. We can't resolve the central black hole with even the most powerful telescopes. The reason the center of the galaxy is brighter is because there are a lot more stars there, but these stars are far outside the event horizon of the central black hole. In the same way, any GR-induced changes in the rate of time passing happen only very close to the black hole, far closer than we can see.

For comparison, a black hole with 1 solar mass would have an event horizon with a radius of 2.95 km. So almost 6 kilometers in diameter. The Sun has a diameter of 1.392×10^6 km, or 1,392,000 km.
Edit: Used the calculator here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/astro/blkhol.html

Last edited:
Doreen said:
A good tool. I think the black hole may suck all the light in where is nearby it. But just i guess. Wait to give advice or comments.

It will only "suck" in the light that passes the event horizon. Further away the light will simply be bent around the black hole and continue on its way.

While the black hole at the centre of our galaxy is huge - about 4 million solar masses, it is likely no more than about 6 light hours in radius - about the size of Uranus' orbit*. The galaxy core on the other hand is on the order of ten thousand light years across - about 120,000x larger - and that's all stars - millions of em.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermassive_black_hole#Doppler_measurements

That radius will represent the event horizon. That means only light that passes within 6 light hours of the black hole itself will get consumed.

Furthermore, the BH will surely have a huge accretion disc of superheated infalling matter that shines very bright (esp. in X-rays). This makes black holes counterintuitively very bright objects to behold.

Last edited:
Also we have lots of observations of the Sagittarius A*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*

We can see the stars go around the black hole.

The other thing is that relativistic effects don't matter unless you are really close.

DaveC426913 said:
While the black hole at the centre of our galaxy is huge - about 4 million solar masses, it is likely no more than about 6 light hours in radius - about the size of Uranus' orbit*.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermassive_black_hole#Doppler_measurements

That radius will represent the event horizon.
That radius represents an upper bound on the event horizon, not the size of the event horizon. Whatever that object at the center of our galaxy is, it must have a radius smaller than 45 AU because astronomers have observed stars pass within 45 AU of the object and survive.

If that object at the center of our galaxy truly is a black hole (and what else could it be?), its Schwarzschild radius is about 31 lunar distances, about 0.08 AU, or about 17 times the radius of the sun.

Last edited:
Wow we have observed objects passing that close to it DH? That's cool.
Was this using radio or infrared or what? (Or a mix)

D H said:
That radius represents an upper bound on the event horizon, not the size of the event horizon.
...which is why I said 'no more than'...

D H said:
Whatever that object at the center of our galaxy is, it must have a radius smaller than 45 AU because astronomers have observed stars pass within 45 AU of the object and survive.

If that object at the center of our galaxy truly is a black hole (and what else could it be?), its Schwarzschild radius is about 31 lunar distances, about 0.08 AU, or about 17 times the radius of the sun.
Your numbers are more stringent. According to the wiki article I linked to:

Astronomers are confident that our own Milky Way galaxy has a supermassive black hole at its center, 26,000 light-years from the Solar System, in a region called Sagittarius A*[10] because:

The star S2 follows an elliptical orbit with a period of 15.2 years and a pericenter (closest distance) of 17 light hours (1.8×1013 m or 120 AU) from the center of the central object.[11]
From the motion of star S2, the object's mass can be estimated as 4.1 million solar masses.[12]
The radius of the central object must be significantly less than 17 light hours, because otherwise, S2 would either collide with it or be ripped apart by tidal forces. In fact, recent observations[13] indicate that the radius is no more than 6.25 light-hours, about the diameter of Uranus' orbit.
Only a black hole is dense enough to contain 4.1 million solar masses in this volume of space.

DaveC426913 said:
Your numbers are more stringent.
The wiki article about observations only talks about observations. It doesn't mention the Schwarzschild radius. So I guess it is the 45 AU you are saying is more stringent. It's not. It's right there in the text you quoted:
DaveC426913 said:
According to the wiki article I linked to:
In fact, recent observations[13] indicate that the radius is no more than 6.25 light-hours, about the diameter of Uranus' orbit.

45 AU/c = 6.24 light-hours.

Drakkith said:
Wow we have observed objects passing that close to it DH? That's cool.
Was this using radio or infrared or what? (Or a mix)
Reference 13, referenced above: http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0306130

Indeed, with radio interferometry, the prospects for actually observing the event horizon of Sag A* are pretty good. It might be the only event horizon in the universe that we will ever directly resolve. (Or more correctly, we will resolve the light passing somewhat outside it, bent around by its gravity. The light is there because of the accretion disk, but it can be enough affected by the gravity itself that we are in effect seeing the EH.)

Ken G said:
Indeed, with radio interferometry, the prospects for actually observing the event horizon of Sag A* are pretty good. It might be the only event horizon in the universe that we will ever directly resolve. (Or more correctly, we will resolve the light passing somewhat outside it, bent around by its gravity. The light is there because of the accretion disk, but it can be enough affected by the gravity itself that we are in effect seeing the EH.)

I saw a talk on this, and the speaker was hopeful that VLBI will also be able to resolve the SMBH in the center of M87. It's about 2000 times further away than SgrA*, but about 1000 times larger.

phyzguy said:
...about 2000 times further away than SgrA*, but about 1000 times larger.
And more importantly I suspect, it's viewed from above - not obscured like ours by the bulk of our own galaxy's dust and gas.

I see...

Even super massive balck hole that strong enough to hold every star in galaxy still very small.by the way,

How light bent when it pass near event horizon?
Bend.jpg

is it bent a bit and continue on their original way?
or forever change their way?

Last edited:
No. Like this. (forgive the straightness of the lines, they should be smooth)

Note the differences from your diagrams:
- once the rays are "bent", they do not "unbend"; they proceed onward on their bent course.
- as they "bend" they are brought closer to the BH, so they "bend" even more. But then, as they get past it, they are carried farther away, thus they "bend" less.
- every light ray follows a smooth hyperbolic path past the BH (kind of like a parabola but more open)
- every light ray is actually symmetrical from one side of the BH to the other - you could move every arrow to the other end of its line segment and the diagram would still be perfectly accurate.

Attachments

• bh.gif
    bh.gif
    8 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
phyzguy said:
I saw a talk on this, and the speaker was hopeful that VLBI will also be able to resolve the SMBH in the center of M87. It's about 2000 times further away than SgrA*, but about 1000 times larger.
OK, then that is certainly the same ball park. Probably they'll both be resolved around the same time.

cepheid said:
But dust obscuration due to viewing angle is not a problem for radio interferometry, right?

I think Cepheid is correct. The VLBI observations of the galactic core are using wavelengths in the mm and sub-mm region, where I don't think dust obscuration is a problem. Here's a very nice presentation that I found online:

http://www.tiara.sinica.edu.tw/activities/workshop/2006-4/presentation/Shen_workshop2006.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
phyzguy said:
I think Cepheid is correct. The VLBI observations of the galactic core are using wavelengths in the mm and sub-mm region, where I don't think dust obscuration is a problem. Here's a very nice presentation that I found online:

http://www.tiara.sinica.edu.tw/activities/workshop/2006-4/presentation/Shen_workshop2006.pdf

Right, I remember seeing a paper about the use of interferometry in the submm recently. If it's mm and submm, then obscuration by dust will not be a problem, however emission by the dust will be. The dust temperature is such that it emits thermally at these wavelengths, and so the Galactic plane is quite bright in these bands. I do wonder about that...

EDIT: Looking at the slides, it's more mm than submm. Maybe the wavelengths are long enough for dust not to be as bright.

phyzguy said:
I think Cepheid is correct. The VLBI observations of the galactic core are using wavelengths in the mm and sub-mm region,

Point. Conceded.

can we use black hole gravity to help increase speed of spacecraft ?

I use to watch documentary about idea to explore solar system, it seem that swing ship across planet and it's gravity can help increase speed of the ship.

can we use black hole in same theory?

Chitose said:

I use to watch documentary about idea to explore solar system, it seem that swing ship across planet and it's gravity can help increase speed of the ship.

Sure, but I'm preeeeetty sure we'd find a BH if there were one in our solar system. :rolleyes:

Chitose said:

Sure, but only if the black hole were moving in a favorable direction. A spaceship steals some of an planets orbital angular momentum when speeding up and gives the planet some when it slows down, but this is only relative to a "fixed" observer, in our case the Sun. Note that the sun is moving too, but in regards to the solar system it is stationary. See here for more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_assist

In simple terms, The Black Hole is sucking in everything in the Galaxy. Eventually even those of us on the outer perimeter will be sucked in. We are all doomed. Though this may take another 30 billion years,

NickFun said:
In simple terms, The Black Hole is sucking in everything in the Galaxy. Eventually even those of us on the outer perimeter will be sucked in. We are all doomed. Though this may take another 30 billion years,

No. This is wrong.

1] Black holes have no more sucking ability than any other body (or collection of bodies) of the same mass.
2] Milky Way's BH is on the order of a million solar masses, but the galaxy's core contains hundreds of thousands of times more mass than that in the form of stars. The BH is a pretty small player in the gravtiational grand scheme of things.
3] http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/41370" that suggests the BH's appetite is one hundred times smaller than the 1% previously thought.

NickFun said:

Really? I thought that was going to happen, like, at the end of 2012 or something...:rolleyes: :-p :devil:

In all seriousness though, DaveC's point below (highlighted by me) cannot be emphasized enough:

DaveC426913 said:
No. This is wrong.

1] Black holes have no more sucking ability than any other body (or collection of bodies) of the same mass.

To drive this point home: As a simple thought experiment, if you could magically and instantaneously replace our sun with a black hole of the same mass, the orbits of Earth and the other planets would not change. Outside the event horizon, matter interacts gravitationally with the black hole in exactly the same manner as it would with any other body of the same mass. It's only beyond the event horizon from which matter cannot escape and is doomed to be "pulled in" to the singularity. Black holes don't suck.

Related to If center of galaxy is supermassive blackhole

1. What is a supermassive black hole?

A supermassive black hole is a massive and extremely dense object found at the center of many galaxies. It is believed to have a mass millions or even billions of times greater than our sun.

2. How do we know there is a supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy?

Scientists have observed the movement of stars and gas near the center of our galaxy, and the only explanation for their behavior is the presence of a supermassive black hole. Additionally, telescopes have captured images of the bright and energetic jets of gas and radiation emanating from the center of our galaxy, which are also indicators of a black hole.

3. Can a supermassive black hole destroy our galaxy?

No, a supermassive black hole cannot destroy our galaxy. While it is extremely powerful, its gravitational pull only affects objects that are relatively close to it. The rest of the galaxy remains largely unaffected.

4. What would happen if our solar system got close to the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy?

If our solar system were to get close to the supermassive black hole, the intense gravitational forces would likely cause significant disruptions to the orbits of our planets. However, it is highly unlikely that our solar system would ever get close enough to the black hole to be affected in this way.

5. Can anything escape from a supermassive black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a supermassive black hole. Its gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape, which is why it appears as a black hole. However, some matter and energy may be ejected from the black hole in the form of radiation and jets.