If i know velocity, then i know acceleration right?

In summary: A^2-x^2} is that what you trying to say?OKAY, i don't know where did you get this equation... this is right but ppl usually don't write it this way, if you want to find a(t) from your equation, substitude v=dx/dt, you have to diff.2 times wrt to time to find the acceleration.
nemzy
For velocity at a certain particle in a simple harmonic oscillation is the following:

v= w (anguluar frequency) times the squareroot of A^2-x^2

but if i wanted to find the acceleration at a certain particle in a simple harmonic oscillation, i can somehow derive a formula from the above equation right? But how would u derive it?

I know that that V= dx/dt ..and a= (d^2)x/dt^2

ugh, i forgot my calculus, anyone clear it up for me?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for simple hamonic motion
[tex] x = A \sin{( wt-\theta)} [/tex]
I have no idea what is your equation looks like

v= w (anguluar frequency) times the squareroot of A^2-x^2 :confused:

put it in Latex pls...

The equations for linear harmonic oscillator are something like that
[tex] x(t)=A\sin(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]
[tex] v_{x}(t)=A\omega\cos(\omega t+\phi) [/tex]
[tex] a_{x}(t)=-A\omega^{2}\sin(\omega t+\phi) [/tex]

Then decide what are the initial conditions.And u can determine the 2 unknowns;

Daniel.

[tex] v= w \sqrt{A^2-x^2} [/tex] is that what you trying to say?

OKAY, i don't know where did you get this equation... this is right but ppl usually don't write it this way, if you want to find a(t) from your equation, substitude v=dx/dt, you have
[tex] dt=dx/ (w \sqrt{A^2-x^2}) [/tex]
integrate both side and you will have[tex] x(t) = Asin(wt+\theta)[/tex]
after you have x(t), everything should be easy

yes,

[tex] v= w \sqrt{A^2-x^2} [/tex]

is what i am trying to say, so how can u derive a formula from the above equation for acceleration? that is my question

did i just tell you.. do the integral and find x(t)
after you have x(t), v(t)= dx/dt, a(t) = dv/dt

nemzy said:
yes,

[tex] v= w \sqrt{A^2-x^2} [/tex]

is what i am trying to say, so how can u derive a formula from the above equation for acceleration? that is my question

The formula is deduced from applying the law of energy conservation.Once u integrate this ODE (using the method prescribed above),you need to diff.2 times wrt to time to find the acceleration.

Daniel.

FAQ: If i know velocity, then i know acceleration right?

1. If I know velocity, do I automatically know acceleration?

No, knowing velocity does not automatically mean that you know acceleration. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. They are related, but they are not the same thing.

2. Can I calculate acceleration if I know velocity?

Yes, you can calculate acceleration if you know velocity. Acceleration is the change in velocity over time, so if you know the initial and final velocities of an object, you can calculate its acceleration using the formula: acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. Is acceleration always constant if I know velocity?

No, acceleration is not always constant even if you know velocity. Acceleration can change over time, meaning that the velocity is changing at a changing rate. This is called variable acceleration.

4. Why is knowing velocity important in understanding acceleration?

Knowing velocity is important in understanding acceleration because acceleration is the change in velocity over time. By knowing the initial and final velocities, you can determine how much the velocity has changed and at what rate, which is essential in calculating acceleration.

5. Can I use velocity and acceleration interchangeably?

No, velocity and acceleration cannot be used interchangeably. As mentioned earlier, they are related but not the same thing. Velocity is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while acceleration is a vector quantity that only has magnitude. Additionally, acceleration is dependent on velocity, but velocity is not dependent on acceleration.