If i use a certain amount of energy/work - lets say 0,36 J - to wind

• Thread starter johann1301
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between energy, mass, and heat in the context of winding up an old alarm clock. It is determined that the mass of the system would increase due to potential energy being stored in the springs, but the size of the clock would not change. Additionally, mass is a fixed property and cannot get hotter or denser, but it can weigh more if its mass is increased. The speaker asks for clarification, indicating confusion on the topic.
johann1301
If i use a certain amount of energy/work - let's say 0,36 J - to wind up an old alarm clock, will the mass of the clock increase, or will the clock just get hotter somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org

Good question. In general, it depends on the particulars of the situation. In the case of an alarm clock, there is generally a system of springs which stores the energy and potential energy---which would increase the effective mass of the system. At the same time, energy is always lost to heat (especially the bearing, and the spring's metal).

I would think that the mass in the spring would get hotter and denser, but not bigger? Would it really weigh more than before?

It doesn't get any 'bigger' in size; but yes, the mass of the system would increase. This is a measurable effect in atomic nuclei where the total mass is larger for a bound system than for the constituent parts alone (same idea of potential energy being stored in the system).

johann1301 said:
I would think that the mass in the spring would get hotter and denser, but not bigger? Would it really weigh more than before?

Mass is a property of matter, it cannot get hotter and denser itself. If you increase the mass of something it will weigh more than it did before.

Can somebody explain this please- I'm now a little confused.

Dreamer350 said:
Can somebody explain this please- I'm now a little confused.

What are you confused about?

Related to If i use a certain amount of energy/work - lets say 0,36 J - to wind

1. How does the amount of energy/work affect the winding process?

The amount of energy/work used to wind something depends on the resistance of the object being wound. The higher the resistance, the more energy/work is required to wind it. However, if the object has low resistance, less energy/work is needed.

2. Can the amount of energy/work be converted into other forms?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted into different forms. In the case of winding, the energy/work used is converted into potential energy stored in the wound object.

3. Is 0.36 J a significant amount of energy/work?

It depends on the context. In general, 0.36 J is a relatively small amount of energy/work. However, it can be significant if it is used to power small devices or if it is repeatedly applied over time.

4. How does friction affect the amount of energy/work needed to wind something?

Friction can increase the amount of energy/work needed to wind something. This is because friction creates resistance, which requires more energy/work to overcome. Lubricants can reduce friction and therefore decrease the amount of energy/work needed for winding.

5. Can the amount of energy/work used for winding be measured?

Yes, energy/work can be measured using a variety of units such as joules, foot-pounds, or calories. A device called a dynamometer can measure the amount of force applied during winding, which can then be used to calculate the amount of energy/work used.