Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If i use a certain amount of energy/work - lets say 0,36 J - to wind

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    If i use a certain amount of energy/work - lets say 0,36 J - to wind up an old alarm clock, will the mass of the clock increase, or will the clock just get hotter somehow?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2
    Re: E=mc2

Good question. In general, it depends on the particulars of the situation. In the case of an alarm clock, there is generally a system of springs which stores the energy and potential energy---which would increase the effective mass of the system. At the same time, energy is always lost to heat (especially the bearing, and the spring's metal).

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3

I would think that the mass in the spring would get hotter and denser, but not bigger? Would it really weigh more than before?

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

It doesn't get any 'bigger' in size; but yes, the mass of the system would increase. This is a measurable effect in atomic nuclei where the total mass is larger for a bound system than for the constituent parts alone (same idea of potential energy being stored in the system).

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Mass is a property of matter, it cannot get hotter and denser itself. If you increase the mass of something it will weigh more than it did before.

7. Feb 29, 2012 #6

Can somebody explain this please- I'm now a little confused.

8. Feb 29, 2012 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What are you confused about?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook