Can a Function be Differentiable if it is Not Continuous?

• Thread starter Kolika28
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of checking for continuity and differentiability in a function. The first step is to check for continuity, and if there is a gap, the function is not differentiable. The derivative of the function must also exist, and it can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule. The conversation also addresses the importance of the limit as x approaches 0 and the need for the function to be continuous in order to be differentiable.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
##g(x)=\left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
\frac{e^{ax+b}-1}{x}, & x>0 \\
\frac{x}{2}+1, & x\leq 0 \\
\end{array}
\right.##

If possible, find the values ##a## and ##b## that make the function g(x) differentiable.
Relevant Equations
The derivative
So this is what I'm thinking:

After watching some YouTube videos on the subject, the first thing I do is check for continuity. So I plug in for ## x=0## and is left with ##
\frac{e^{b}-1}{0}=1##. I don't think I'm doing this right given the fact that I'm left with 0 in the denominator. Afterwards I was supposed to set the derivative equal of the to expression in the function equal to each other, but only if it was continuous¨.

But I can't have 0 in the denominator. So does that make the function discontinuous and therefor not differentiable?

Physics news on Phys.org
What "would" be the derivative at x=0x=0? Have you differentiated eax+b−1xeax+b−1x?

Also, you are right, it has to be continuous first. So which combination makes ##\lim_{x \to 0}g(x)=1##?

Kolika28 said:
the first thing I do is check for continuity.

Good first step. It's not differentiable unless it's continuous. Remember what that means: that the limit as ##x \rightarrow 0## is the same when approaching from the left and the right. Sometimes that's the same as plugging in ##x = 0##, but in general that's not what limit means.

Kolika28 said:
But I can't have 0 in the denominator. So does that make the function discontinuous and therefor not differentiable?

It does if the numerator ##(e^b - 1)## is nonzero, in which case there's a vertical asymptote at ##x = 0##. The limit is either ##+\infty## or ##-\infty##.

So the only hope for continuity is if ##(e^b - 1)## is 0 at ##x = 0##. In that case, plugging in 0 gives you an indeterminate form ##0/0## and that is NOT the limit as ##x \rightarrow 0^-##. You want to evaluate that limit and see if it can be made the same as the limit as ##x \rightarrow 0^+##.

Provided the function can be made continuous, you aren't done. Continuity is necessary for differentiability, but it isn't sufficient.

Likes Kolika28
fresh_42 said:
What "would" be the derivative at x=0x=0? Have you differentiated eax+b−1xeax+b−1x?

Also, you are right, it has to be continuous first. So which combination makes ##\lim_{x \to 0}g(x)=1##?

So should I in this case differentiate first?

You should make sure that there is no gap first. Then as @RPinPA has said, you are not done, yet. The derivative has to exist. So it's reasonable to look what the derivative looks like. It isn't allowed to have a gap either, if it is differentiable at ##x=0##.

Likes Kolika28
The derivative of a differentiable function is not necessarily continuous but it does have the "intermediate value theorem" (that is what is meant by "no gap"). So if you find the derivative for x> 0 and the derivative for x< 0 and take the limit of each as x goes to 0, either the two limits are the same, and the derivative of the function is that value, or the two limits are not the same and the function is not differentiable at x= 0.

Likes Kolika28
Ok, I not sure if I'm understanding correctly. But maye it's best if I try to show you what I'm doing with the information given, and then take it from there:

So I check for continuity to make sure that the function does not have a gap.
##\lim_{x\to 0^{-}}\frac{x}{2}+1=1##
Then we must have that
##\lim_{x\to 0^{+}}\frac{e^{ax+b}-1}{x}=1##

But how do I make sure if this gap does exist or not?

Last edited:
Yes, that limit "must be 1". Can you determine whether it is or not? I see, for example, that if b is not 0, the limit does not exist at all because the denominator is going to 0 while the numerator is not. In order to have a chance of having a limit, the numerator, [itex]e^{ax+ b}- 1[/itex] must be 0 for x= 0. That, again, is true if b= 0. Now, since [itex]\frac{e^{ax}-1}{x}[/itex] is the "indeterminate" form, [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex], at x= 0, you can use L'Hopital's rule.

Likes Kolika28
I finally got it! Thank you so much both of you!

Related to Can a Function be Differentiable if it is Not Continuous?

1. What does "a" and "b" represent in this question?

"a" and "b" are variables that represent unknown quantities or values. They could represent any number or quantity depending on the context of the problem.

2. Is it always possible to find both "a" and "b" in a problem?

No, it is not always possible to find both "a" and "b" in a problem. It depends on the given information and the complexity of the problem. Some problems may only have one solution while others may have multiple or no solution at all.

3. How do you find "a" and "b" in a problem?

The method for finding "a" and "b" will vary depending on the type of problem. Some common methods include using equations, solving systems of equations, or using trial and error. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information in order to determine the appropriate method.

4. Can "a" and "b" be negative numbers?

Yes, "a" and "b" can be negative numbers. In mathematics, numbers can be positive, negative, or zero. Depending on the context of the problem, negative numbers may be a valid solution for "a" and "b".

5. Is there a specific order for finding "a" and "b"?

No, there is no specific order for finding "a" and "b". It is important to carefully analyze the given information and determine the appropriate method for finding both "a" and "b". In some cases, it may be necessary to find one variable first before solving for the other.