1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If the divergence of a vector field is zero

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the divergence of a vector field is zero, I know that that means that it is the curl of some vector. How do I find that vector?

2. Relevant equations
    Just the equations for divergence and curl. In TeX:
    [tex]\nabla\cdot u=\frac{\partial u_x}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u_y}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial u_z}{\partial z}[/tex]
    and the equivalent for curl.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know at all how to find an answer.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2007 #2
    The divergence of the curl of ANY vector is =0. You cant find that "vector" without some more information, eg boundary conditions.
  4. Feb 11, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

5. Feb 11, 2007 #4
    So when a problem gives a vector field where it's divergence is zero, and it asks to find a vector field such that the curl of the vector field is the given vector field, I can just choose any vector field?
  6. Feb 11, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, those responses were to what you had posted before- that all you knew about the vector field was that its divergence was equal to 0. You did not say you were given a vector field that happened to have divergence equal to 0!

If you are given a vector field, say, u(x,y,z)i+ v(x,y,z)j+ w(x,y,z)k with divergence 0, Then write out the formula for curl of a vector field and set the components equal:
    [tex]\frac{\partial h}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial g}{\partial z}= u[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}- \frac{\partial h}{\partial x}= v[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= w[/tex]

Solve those for f, g, h,
  7. Feb 11, 2007 #6
    I already knew that; I suppose I just didn't write it out clearly enough. But what was confusing me was how to solve for those. It seems like that is a system of PDEs, and I have no idea how to solve those.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?