If there were only one charge in the universe.

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about the existence of electric field in a universe with only one type of charge. The two given answers were the second and last options, but the speaker believes they are incorrect because they assume the presence of electric field. The conversation also delved into the possibility of a universe with only electrons and the implications it would have on the theory of quantum electrodynamics.
the-ever-kid
there was this question that i saw in a book and it also had an answer .

(this is not a homework question)

The Question was:

If there were only one type of charge in the universe, then :

• [itex]\phi = \oint_s\boldsymbol{E}.\partial\boldsymbol{ A}\neq 0[/itex] on any surface
  • [itex]\phi = \oint_s\boldsymbol{E}.\partial\boldsymbol{ A}=0 [/itex] if the charge is outside a surface
  • [itex]\phi = \oint_s\boldsymbol{E}.\partial\boldsymbol{ A} [/itex] is not defined
  • [itex]\phi = \oint_s\boldsymbol{E}.\partial\boldsymbol{ A}=\frac{q}{\epsilon_o} [/itex] if the charge is outside a surface

the answers were given as being the second and the last option.

I believe the answer is incorrect, reasons:

1. The answer assumes that electric field will exist .
  2. But this is not the case , until and unless there is a bipolarity there cannot be an electric field ( in case of isolated charged objects, the field exists because the bipolarity is separated by a distance ∞ )
  3. This integral will result in a constant 0 as the electric field will be zero.(all cases)

I want to know if my reasons are correct or not if not then why is the given answer correct or wrong and what should be the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
But this is not the case , until and unless there is a bipolarity there cannot be an electric field
Why? What would be wrong with a universe with only electrons inside?

If you plan to remove the option to have opposite charges from the whole theory, you might have to reformulate quantum electrodynamics. But that is not part of the question here, I think.

FAQ: If there were only one charge in the universe.

1. What would happen if there was only one charge in the universe?

If there was only one charge in the universe, all particles and objects would either be attracted or repelled by this charge. This would create a chaotic and unstable environment, as there would be no balance of forces.

2. Would the universe still exist if there was only one charge?

It is unlikely that the universe could exist with only one charge. The balance of positive and negative charges is essential for the formation and stability of atoms, molecules, and other structures in the universe.

3. How would this one charge affect the behavior of matter and energy?

The one charge would have a significant influence on the behavior of matter and energy, as it would determine the direction and strength of all electromagnetic interactions. It would also impact the movement and behavior of charged particles, such as electrons and protons.

4. Could life exist in a universe with only one charge?

It is difficult to say for sure, but it is unlikely that complex life forms, such as humans, could exist in a universe with only one charge. The delicate balance of charges is crucial for the functioning of biological systems, and without it, life as we know it would not be possible.

5. What implications would a universe with only one charge have for our understanding of physics?

If there was only one charge in the universe, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and the fundamental forces of nature. It would require a complete overhaul of our theories and models to explain the behavior of matter and energy in such a universe.