If two black holes combind together-

In summary, based on the author's research, if two black holes combine, the main form energy they emit is gravitational waves. However, this event is very rare and has yet to be observed in practice. Additionally, shooting from the hip would not be very scientific, so we can't say for sure if the birth and death of quasar's is related to the process of two black holes combining.
magnetar
If two black holes combind together------

If two black holes combind together,the main form energy emited by this event is "gravitational waves"??

Thank you in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
magnetar said:
If two black holes combind together,the main form energy emited by this event is "gravitational waves"??

Thank you in advance!

Offhand, I can think of any other way for them to emit energy, so I would say yes. But I don't have a reference for this statement, unfortunately.

Would it not be Rotational Energy? Because the spining of both will add together? (Though I don't know much about black holes, just what i have read, so that could be TOTALLY wrong :(

From the book <<black holes and time warps>>,P413 Paragraph4 .we may find some clue of this question?

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    51 KB · Views: 259
Though the emission of gravitational waves would be present the thought of radiational emissions would be a better chance of what would happen. Due to the large size of black holes and the amount of energy encased in them it would result in the release of high amounts of radiation.

You'd probably get a fair amount of EM radiation dumped from the hot ionic matter orbiting them, too. This is generally how black holes are detected - by the behavior of the matter being drawn in, rather than the onject itself.

Many of the bar detectors around at the moment are limited to extremely energetic gravitational events, one example of such is two black holes combining. They have yet to record any positive results.

Sojourner01 said:
This is generally how black holes are detected - by the behavior of the matter being drawn in, rather than the onject itself.

they'r also detected by the "wobble" of some stars that may b in orbit around the black hole... or whateva else is in orbit around the thing lol

and i say, i large explosion would happen haha not a useful piece of information, but still true =P

Teresa said:
i large explosion would happen =P

that is, *A* large explosion would happen... I am sure i would have nothing to do with it lol

if real big BHs
and in a dusty area like a galixcy core
QUASAR?
I can think of no other process that can explain
the birth life and death of quasar's
and the forming of super massive core BH's
that the process leaves behind

but non-core BH's coming together must be very very rare
as we don't see mini quasars
so maybe there is a needed size to trigger the process?
or the extra junk outside the two BH found only in a core?

How about using the theory of general relavitiy for this?

Shooting from the hip is not very scientific so it seems to me that if we want to answer that question in GR we have to use the equations of GR.

We could start with two identical free falling and non rotating point masses from infinity. But unfortunately we cannot even write that simple solution down in GR. Except for a few "Mickey Mouse" solutions, no metric is algebraically reducible in GR.

But what is clear is that in this case there is gravitational radiation, although actually the term radiation is a bit of a questionable description. This "radiation" not only interacts directly, it also interacts indirectly by going out and "reflect" later (4PN effects), so the situation is completely non-linear, and one even could argue, non-local.

Last edited:
A head on collision may be interesting, but is not very likely. Most of the serious effort has been spent on modeling inspirals, as I think was mentioned.

Note that while we don't have any analytic solutions, and that while there are currently also problems in numerical methods with stability, we do have some general mathematical results to show that there is nothing that could be described as "nonlocal" going on. General relativity has a "well posed intial value formulation" (Wald pg 252) solutions to the equations describing the field evolution are known to exist, be unique from specified initial conditions, and to propagate in what can be described as a causal manner (see theorem 10.1.3 for the details) even though we currently have a very hard time solving them. Technically, they are a "quasilinear, diagonal, second order hyperbolic system" of partial differential equations.

I understand what you are saying but to claim that a theory has no non-localities but at the same time in that theory each particle's contribution to the combined gravitational field crosses the whole universe is a bit of a twist. :smile:

And then there are singularities (the real ones not the coordinate ones), do you think they are local?

Last edited:
Emission you say?

It would seem - to me - that since we are dealing with BHs, that nothing would be emitted no matter what happens to it. Though I think its mass would increase and consequently its gravity. So if you call it gravity waves then I suppose I would agree with the OP that the main if not only (indirectly) observable emission would be gravity waves.

I've never heard anything about the destruction of a BH or its affects on matter and its surrounding space. So I would volunteer that nothing would be emitted in that event. I would guess that the more massive BH would devour the lesser BH and we may see the wobble of a nearby star intensify or some other effect of the gravity increase but nothing from the BH(s) itself.

Thx,
Mike

Trying to clarify the question

magnetar said:
If two black holes combind together,the main form energy emited by this event is "gravitational waves"?

Unfortunately, I don't think this question has been very well stated. This shouldn't be read as indictment--- it can often be hard to state a question well when you are struggling with something new.

At any event, I guess that the question concerns energy radiated away in some form, not something like (in str terms) kinetic energy wrt a frame comoving with one of two colliding objects, or ejected matter (e.g. from an accretion disk or torus of dust around one of the holes, etc.). Let me try to restate it:

No-one said:
When two astrophysical objects collide, in addition to ejected matter we can expect the emission of various kinds of radiation which carries away "news" of the collision to distant observers. For ordinary stars we would expect most of this radiation to be nongravitational, but when a highly compact object such as a neutron star is involved, we might guess that the fraction of energy radiated as gravitational radiation might be substantial. If both the objects are black holes, the result of the merger is a single black hole and neglecting possible accretion disk we should expect only gravitational radiation in this case.

So, question: in realistic models of the merger of an ordinary star or neutron star with a black hole, what fraction of the combined rest mass of the original objects might be radiated away in the form of gravitational, electromagnetic, or neutrino radiation, etc.?"

A variant of this question: in dense stellar clusters, collisions of stars might sometimes eventually result in the formation of a supermassive black hole. What fraction of the combined rest mass of the "ingredients" can be radiated away as gravitational radiation in such cases?

There are many arXiv eprints which touch on these questions, including:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0507014

http://aps.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9908290

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9905058

http://de.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9801105

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9606181

pervect said:
Offhand, I can think of any other way for them to emit energy, so I would say yes. But I don't have a reference for this statement, unfortunately.

Praetorius 2005 says that in simulations of equal mass nonspinning BH mergers, "a rough calculation suggests on the order of 5% of the initial rest mass of the system is radiated as gravitational waves during the final orbit and ringdown."

Janka et. all 1999 say, concerning NS/BH mergers, "A gas mass between about 0.3 and about 0.7 solar masses is left in an accretion torus around the black hole and radiates neutrinos at a luminosity of several 10^{53} erg/s during an estimated accretion time scale of about 0.1 s."

Totani 1998 points out that due to the strong gravitational fields in NS/NS mergers, time delay plays a significant role: "A unique feature of the binary neutron-star merger scenario, in contrast to other scenarios associated to single stellar collapses, is that a time delay during binary spiral-in phase emitting gravitational waves is not negligible and makes the rate evolution flatter than that of star formation rate."

Ruffert et al. 1996 say "About [itex]10^{-4}-10^{-3}~M_\odot[/itex] of material lost during the neutron star merging and swept out from the system in a neutrino-driven wind might be a site for nucleosythesis".

Shibata 1997 says that in stellar cluster collision simulations, up to "0.5% of the rest mass energy may be dissipated by the gravitational wave emission in the final phase of the merger."

In one of his papers, Thorne does a back of the envelope computation suggesting that in certain merger events, the gravitational radiation luminosity can indeed exceed the EM luminosity.

Those of the above remarks which don't quite address the question as I stated it, nonetheless suggest how the restated question might be further refined.

FrigginGenius said:
It would seem - to me - that since we are dealing with BHs, that nothing would be emitted no matter what happens to it. Though I think its mass would increase and consequently its gravity. So if you call it gravity waves then I suppose I would agree with the OP that the main if not only (indirectly) observable emission would be gravity waves.

I've never heard anything about the destruction of a BH or its affects on matter and its surrounding space. So I would volunteer that nothing would be emitted in that event. I would guess that the more massive BH would devour the lesser BH and we may see the wobble of a nearby star intensify or some other effect of the gravity increase but nothing from the BH(s) itself.

Please note:

1. The study of binary mergers as treated using a rather subtle and sophisticated theory (gtr) currently involves state of the art numerical and theoretical methods, which smart people spend years mastering in graduate school.

2. Standards here at PF are probably higher than you may have encountered at other web forums (although I think standards can be greatly improved even at PF!).

Given these facts, I'd suggest you try to refrain from stating wild guesses based on (apparently) little or no knowledge of the subject at hand. The OP's question was poorly stated, but I imagine he nonetheless wanted an informed response.

Standards here at PF https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374 are probably higher than you may have encountered at other web forums (although I think standards can be greatly improved even at PF!).

Last edited:
Wow, I bet that didn't help a soul Chris. GJ.

This thread is spiraling downwards, out of control. I'm locking it for the nonce.

Related to If two black holes combind together-

1. What happens when two black holes combine together?

When two black holes combine, they merge into a larger black hole. This process is called a black hole merger. The merged black hole then continues to grow by consuming matter and merging with other black holes.

2. How do scientists detect black hole mergers?

Scientists can detect black hole mergers through gravitational wave detectors, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO). These detectors measure tiny ripples in space-time caused by the merging black holes.

3. What happens to the event horizons of the two black holes during a merger?

During a merger, the event horizons of the two black holes combine to form a single event horizon for the larger merged black hole. This is the point of no return for any matter or light that gets too close to the black hole.

4. Can a black hole merger create a supermassive black hole?

Yes, a black hole merger can create a supermassive black hole. Supermassive black holes are thought to form from the merging of multiple smaller black holes over time.

5. What happens to the energy released during a black hole merger?

The energy released during a black hole merger is in the form of gravitational waves. These waves carry energy away from the black hole and can be detected by gravitational wave detectors on Earth.