If we decrease the voltage passing through a circuit, (suppose that

In summary, decreasing the voltage passing through a circuit while keeping the resistance constant will result in a decrease in current. Similarly, decreasing the voltage while keeping the current constant will not change the resistance. However, changing the circuit in some way, such as removing a resistor, can affect the overall resistance. Resistors in series and parallel have different equations for calculating total resistance, and removing a resistor in each type of circuit will have different effects. For series circuits, removing a resistor will turn off the circuit, while for parallel circuits, the total resistance will decrease. More information on resistors in series and parallel can be found on the Wikipedia page for resistor networks.
poohbearhug
if we decrease the voltage passing through a circuit, (suppose that the amount of resistance encountered by the voltage remains the same/constant), the current passing through the circuit will be most likely to decrease as well. Similarly, if the voltage decreases (the current remains constant), the resistance is expecting to decrease also

IS THIS CORRECT? PLEASE HELP ME.

Physics news on Phys.org

if we decrease the voltage passing through a circuit, (suppose that the amount of resistance encountered by the voltage remains the same/constant), the current passing through the circuit will be most likely to decrease as well.

Yes, V = IR.

Similarly, if the voltage decreases (the current remains constant), the resistance is expecting to decrease also

While it's the same equation, it doesn't work that way. Resistance is a characteristic of the circuit you have, and you'll have to change the circuit in some way to change the resistance so as to be able to maintain the same current as voltage decreases.

poohbearhug said:
if we decrease the voltage passing through a circuit, (suppose that the amount of resistance encountered by the voltage remains the same/constant), the current passing through the circuit will be most likely to decrease as well. Similarly, if the voltage decreases (the current remains constant), the resistance is expecting to decrease also

IS THIS CORRECT? PLEASE HELP ME.

Welcome to the PF.

Correct so far. What is the context of your questions?

Thank you for that answer. I learned a lot. But I have one more question.

What will be the effect on each combination(series and parallel) of resistors if one of the resistors is removed? Why?

You know how resistors in series and parallel works, right?

R_total = R_1 + R_2... for series
1/R_tot = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2... for parallel

Remove a resistor in parallel, calculate change yourself.
Remove a resistor in series, circuit is now off.

thank you. i wish i could understand that.

1. What happens to the current in the circuit if we decrease the voltage?

The current in the circuit will decrease as well. This is because according to Ohm's Law, current is directly proportional to voltage. As voltage decreases, so does the amount of current flowing through the circuit.

2. Will the resistance in the circuit change if we decrease the voltage?

No, the resistance in the circuit will remain the same. Resistance is a physical property of the material that the circuit is made of and is not affected by changes in voltage.

3. How will decreasing the voltage affect the power output of the circuit?

The power output of the circuit will also decrease. Power is directly proportional to both voltage and current, so as the voltage decreases, the overall power output of the circuit will decrease as well.

4. Can decreasing the voltage affect the components in the circuit?

Yes, decreasing the voltage can affect the components in the circuit. Some components, such as light bulbs, may not function properly if the voltage is too low. Additionally, sensitive electronic components may be damaged if the voltage is too high or too low.

5. Is there a limit to how much we can decrease the voltage in a circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to how much we can decrease the voltage in a circuit. Every component in a circuit has a minimum operating voltage, and if the voltage is decreased below this threshold, the component may not function properly or at all. Additionally, if the voltage is too low, the circuit may not be able to power the desired load or may not work at all.