If xy^2 = ab^2 : Does xy = ab?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "If xy2 = ab2, does that mean automatically that xy = ab?" is not necessarily true. There are two cases where xy and ab are equal, but there are also two cases where they are not equal. Additionally, if xy and ab are assumed to be equal, it is only true if b=y.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
If

xy2 = ab2

Does that mean automatically that xy = ab?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not necessarily. It's possible that xy = -ab.

Got it :) Thanks

Let's try something.

[itex]1 \cdot 2^2 = 4 \cdot 1^2[/itex] is true isn't it?

But is: [itex]1 \cdot 2 = 4 \cdot 1[/itex] ? :confused:

Oh, I was assuming the OP meant (xy)^2 = (ab)^2. If it's how you're suggesting, then (if x y^2 = a b^2, then xy = ab) only if y=b.

@CL: I suspect that it was what the OP meant too, but I felt the playful need to point out to the OP that round thingies should be used. :smile:

Oh, of course. Round thingies should always be used. Or square thingies, they work too.

[xy]^2 = (ab)^2.

a^2-b^2 =0
<=> (a-b)(a+b)=0
<=> a=b or a=-b

Femme_physics said:
If

xy2 = ab2

Does that mean automatically that xy = ab?
Femme_physics,
By chance, you don't mean (xy)2 = (ab)2, do you?

Assuming you mean (xy)^2 = (ab)^2, xy does not neccesarilly equal ab:

sqrt[(xy)^2] = sqrt[(ab)^2]
then
(+/-)xy = (+/-)ab
which is true for only two out of four cases:
+xy=+ab
-xy=-ab
But, you wind up with problems when -xy = +ab and +xy=-ab.

Hope that helps a little.

Alex1812 said:
Assuming you mean (xy)^2 = (ab)^2, xy does not neccesarily equal ab:

sqrt[(xy)^2] = sqrt[(ab)^2]
then
(+/-)xy = (+/-)ab
which is true for only two out of four cases:
+xy=+ab
-xy=-ab
But, you wind up with problems when -xy = +ab and +xy=-ab.
I did not assume the OP meant {if [itex] (xy)^2 = (ab)^2[/itex], does [itex] xy = ab[/itex]. I approached it as written {if [itex] xy^2 = ab^2 [/itex] does [itex] xy = ab[/itex]} which is false. Without proving it, by testing empirically, it becomes obvious it is false.

However if we assume it the first way, I don't see 4 cases, only 2, but that is sufficient to show the two equations are not equal (see below cases iii and iv, resolve to i and ii. Below my designation for case and equation numbering are interchangeable).

(i) xy = ab
(ii) xy= -ab
(iii) -xy= ab; multiply eq. by -1, you get xy= -ab (which is eq. ii)
(iv) -xy = -ab; multiply eq. by -1, you get xy = ab (which is eq. i )

You're right Ouabache, I didn't bother equating the pairs of equations to reduce it to two cases.

As written,
if (xy^2)=(ab^2)
then (x/a) = (b^2/y^2)

if xy=ab
then (x/a)=(b/y)

Then the original statement is true only iff (b/y)=(b^2/y^2)=((b/y)^2) which, as previously pointed out, is only true iff b=y.

And apologies for my ignorance of TeX.

Alex1812 said:
if (xy^2)=(ab^2)
then (x/a) = (b^2/y^2)

if xy=ab
then (x/a)=(b/y)

Then the original statement is true only iff (b/y)=(b^2/y^2)=((b/y)^2) which, as previously pointed out, is only true iff b=y.
not true if y =0 and x = 0

That's true. Always good to keep in mind the impact of nul denominators. Anyway, I think we've disproven this more ways than Femme_Physics has time to read about lol

1. If xy^2 = ab^2 : Does xy = ab?

No, xy does not necessarily equal ab. This is because the variable y can have any value, which means that y^2 will also have any value. Therefore, xy can be equal to ab^2 or ab^3 or any other combination depending on the value of y.

2. Can you simplify xy^2 = ab^2 to xy = ab?

No, you cannot simplify xy^2 = ab^2 to xy = ab. This is because when simplifying equations, you must apply the same operation to both sides of the equation. In this case, the exponent of y is different on both sides, so you cannot simply cancel them out.

3. What is the relationship between xy^2 and ab^2?

The relationship between xy^2 and ab^2 is that they are both equal to each other. This is because the equation xy^2 = ab^2 means that both expressions are equivalent and have the same value. However, this does not mean that xy is equal to ab, as explained in the first question.

4. Can xy^2 = ab^2 be solved for x or y?

Yes, xy^2 = ab^2 can be solved for either x or y. However, the solution will be in terms of the other variable. For example, if you solve for x, the equation will become x = ab^2/y^2. Similarly, if you solve for y, it will become y = √(ab^2/x).

5. What is the difference between xy^2 = ab^2 and xy = ab?

The main difference between xy^2 = ab^2 and xy = ab is that the first equation includes an exponent, while the second one does not. This means that the first equation has two variables, x and y, raised to different powers, while the second equation has only two variables, x and y, with no exponents. As a result, the solutions for both equations will be different.