If you are exposed to radiation, do you emit it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether a person emits radiation when exposed to particles like alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. The conclusion is that a person does not become radioactive unless they ingest radioactive material, and even then, the levels are generally harmless. The conversation also touches on induced radioactivity and how it is related to the energy and nature of the radiation. It is noted that some atoms in our bodies are naturally radioactive and that our bodies can use these isotopes in chemical reactions. The conversation also mentions how different types of radiation have different abilities to induce radioactivity.
Abu
Hi everyone. I was thinking about the question that I stated in the title. If you are exposed to radiation, such as alpha and beta particles, you don't emit radiation. The alpha particles are merely stopped because they don't have a high penetration. The beta particles pass through your body and the cells inside of your body become ionized and begin to die. For gamma radiation, secondary ionization occurs. This is where energy is given to the atoms inside of your body, electrons are emitted (aka beta particles).

So, since these particles continue to pass through your body, don't you emit radiation too?

If my question doesn't make sense, please let me know and I will correct it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Somewhat amusing in a way. The answer is, a person does not become radioactive, contrary to what a couple of TV shows and cartoons may have shown at times. ## \\ ## Editing: Additional note: Any secondary emissions occur immediately, and are not delayed. If you were to swallow radioactive material, then yes, you would essentially be radioactive, but the comments are assuming this is not the case. I believe in some medical procedures, they might even inject a minute amount of radioactive material into a person. The levels are virtually harmless to the patient, and others who come in contact with that person would experience less radiation than we receive in many cases from natural sources in the environment.

Last edited:
Likes Abu
Charles Link said:
Somewhat amusing in a way. The answer is, a person does not become radioactive, contrary to what a couple of TV shows and cartoons may have shown at times. ## \\ ## Editing: Additional note: Any secondary emissions occur immediately, and are not delayed. If you were to swallow radioactive material, then yes, you would essentially be radioactive, but the comments are assuming this is not the case. I believe in some medical procedures, they might even inject a minute amount of radioactive material into a person. The levels are virtually harmless to the patient, and others who come in contact with that person would experience less radiation than we receive in many cases from natural sources in the environment.
Ah okay, thank you very much for your reply! It makes sense that if you ingest something radioactive then you will begin to emit radiation. I guess I was overthinking the question because I thought since technically these particles are passing right through you, you are emitting radiation behind yourself, if that makes any sense.

Likes Charles Link
That is not exactly true.

There is induced radioactivity: Gamma rays, neutrons and high energy protons can induce nuclear reactions and produce radioactive nuclei with a large range of lifetimes. It is a very rare process, however. You need the radiation levels inside a nuclear reactor or a particle accelerator to make things notably radioactive that way.

Likes Abu and Charles Link
Something to remember is that some of the atoms in our bodies are radioactive to begin with, Carbon 14 is a good example, as are species of Potassium, Calcium and others. Of course, this is all extremely low level and in some cases our bodies actually make use of this as some of these isotopes react more easily chemically.

Also, alpha particles can be stopped with a piece of paper, Beta is stopped by thick cloth, Gamma particles...Good Luck or a lot of lead, water or high density plastic will stop em.

Likes Abu
mfb said:
There is induced radioactivity: Gamma rays, neutrons and high energy protons can induce nuclear reactions and produce radioactive nuclei with a large range of lifetimes. It is a very rare process, however. You need the radiation levels inside a nuclear reactor or a particle accelerator to make things notably radioactive that way.
It´s not just "level", it is the energy and nature of the radiation that is relevant to inducing radioactivity.
Neutrons (and other unstable particles) readily induce radioactivity. Other particles (photons, electrons, alpha particles, protons) only induce radioactivity if they are energetic enough. Large amounts of soft x-rays will break down biological molecules but will individually have not enough energy to break down nuclei.

Likes Abu
Steelwolf said:
Of course, this is all extremely low level and in some cases our bodies actually make use of this as some of these isotopes react more easily chemically.
Do you have an example?

snorkack said:
It´s not just "level", it is the energy and nature of the radiation that is relevant to inducing radioactivity.
These two things are highly correlated, with x-ray machines as one of the few exceptions. Nuclear reactors have the highest irradiation dose rates - and they have neutrons. Particle accelerators can lead to very high dose rates as well - and they often have enough energy to induce nuclear reactions.

We incorporate Carbon 14 into our bodies all the time, our system seems to be preferential in taking it up.

Steelwolf said:
We incorporate Carbon 14 into our bodies all the time, our system seems to be preferential in taking it up.
Where did you get that from?
Our body takes up all carbon. Some of it happens to be C14.

1. Does being exposed to radiation cause me to emit it?

No, simply being exposed to radiation does not cause a person to emit it. Radiation exposure occurs when a person is exposed to radiation from an external source, such as an X-ray machine or nuclear power plant. This exposure can cause damage to the cells in the body, but does not cause a person to emit radiation themselves.

2. Can I get radiation sickness from being exposed to someone who has radiation?

No, radiation sickness is not contagious. It can only occur if a person is exposed to high levels of radiation themselves, typically from a nuclear accident or medical treatment. Being in close proximity to someone who has been exposed to radiation does not put you at risk for radiation sickness.

3. Do all types of radiation cause the same level of harm?

No, not all types of radiation cause the same level of harm. There are different types of radiation, including alpha, beta, and gamma radiation, each with different levels of energy and ability to penetrate the body. Some types of radiation, such as alpha radiation, can be stopped by a piece of paper, while others, like gamma radiation, can penetrate through the body.

4. Can I emit radiation after receiving medical treatment involving radiation?

Yes, after receiving medical treatment involving radiation, a person may emit small amounts of radiation. However, this emission is typically very low and does not pose a significant risk to others. Medical professionals take precautions to minimize the amount of radiation emitted by patients after treatment.

5. How can I protect myself from emitting radiation?

To protect yourself from emitting radiation, it is important to limit your exposure to sources of radiation, such as X-rays and nuclear power plants. You can also wear protective gear, such as lead aprons, when receiving medical treatment involving radiation. Additionally, following safety protocols and regulations in industries involving radiation can also help reduce the risk of emitting radiation.