If you could go anywhere in time and space

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space Time
In summary: I guess that just about does it for my list!In summary, this came up the other day; the original Time Machine movie has been running. If you only have one trip to one time and place, and a trip home, after that you would "melt" if you tried to go back again. There are a lot of interesting people and events in history that one could observe, but the most happiness-provoking for me would be to witness a catastrophic event (either an asteroid strike, a meteor strike, or a major war) as seen from nearby orbit. Another option would be to visit Shakespeare around the time he retired, or go back in time to see ancient Rome during its heyday.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This came up the other day...oh yes, the original Time Machine movie has been running. Assume that you only get one trip to one time and place - any time and place - and a trip home. After that, you would melt if you tried again.

So, in addition to where and when, if you choose the past, dare you take a chance on changing things? Would you try to change history?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would go to December 21, 0000 to witness the birth of christ. then you athiests will be sorry :devil: (<-I know, inappropriate for this)

no, I wouldn't change the past. (I saw the butterfly effect )

I don't know. There are just too many interesting people and events.

Maybe go back and shoot pool with Tesla and Sam Clemmons.

I would go as far into the future as physically possible... hopefully we'd have instantaneous... or almost... space travel by then, and while there i'd go everywhere i could and witness the universe up close instead of pondering from my balcony ;) then of course i'd come back... and no one would believe me

It'd be a hoot to see humanity at its technological peak. Granted that one can't predict when that would happen, I'd settle for, say, 3000 AD, crossing my fingers that we're still around at that time.

hypnagogue said:
It'd be a hoot to see humanity at its technological peak. Granted that one can't predict when that would happen, I'd settle for, say, 3000 AD, crossing my fingers that we're still around at that time.

i agree, that would be really cool.

As for historical events-- I think it'd be quite a spectacle to witness a catastrophic meteor strike upon Earth (any one of the major ones will do), as seen from nearby orbit.

Actually, I seem to recall a program on the science channel about a hypothesis that the moon was formed from material from the Earth following a huge collision with a planet-sized body. If that's what really happened, that's what I'd want to see. :biggrin:

yomamma said:
I would go to December 21, 0000 to witness the birth of christ. then you athiests will be sorry :devil: (<-I know, inappropriate for this)

no, I wouldn't change the past. (I saw the butterfly effect )
I have heard (but not confirmed (as if I could?)) that Jesus was actually born in 4 B.C. Heh, those crazy calendar makers.

For my own happiness, I would want to visit Shakespeare, around the time that he retired. For humanity's happiness, I don't know - I would have to go back pretty far...

geez.. that makes me want to see the big bang :)

hypnagogue said:
As for historical events-- I think it'd be quite a spectacle to witness a catastrophic meteor strike upon Earth (any one of the major ones will do), as seen from nearby orbit.

Actually, I seem to recall a program on the science channel about a hypothesis that the moon was formed from material from the Earth following a huge collision with a planet-sized body. If that's what really happened, that's what I'd want to see. :biggrin:
Don't forget your safety goggles. :cool: I imagine that would kick up a helluva mess.

honestrosewater said:
Don't forget your safety goggles. :cool: I imagine that would kick up a helluva mess.

Yeah, I have to give myself some room to be fanciful. Being present at and observing the big bang is something on a much grander scale of course, but too physically implausible for me to mention it as a possibility.

Here's a nice computer simulation of what the moon-forming impact would have looked like: http://www.classzone.com/books/eart...zations/es2501/es2501page01.cfm?chapter_no=25

And more general information about the hypothesis (though this article is 4 years old):
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/lunar-01d.html

I got a charge out of the last episode of Star Trek TNG. The type IV being Q takes Picard to the moment when life on Earth emerged from the primordial ooze. Then...ooops, it didn't happen because of Jean-Luc and his messing with a time reversed temporal distortion. Now that would worry me!

Picard is hot. :!)

i would want to see ancient Rome. Maybe kill brutus and all of the senators rambo style and completely change history. or kill atilla before he got powerful. or i could save the library in alexandria (or just see it).
i wonder what we would be like now if i could prevent rome from falling?

fibonacci

Heliogabalus threw wonderful parties, I've heard..

I would find the biggest lottery ever won, and go back with the numbers that allow me to win on the day it rolled over and became the biggest. :cool:

Going back in time, I would like to hop-skip through the Triassic, Jurrasic and Cretaceous periods (all part of the Mesozoic era) and see the dinosaurs.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mesozoic/mesozoic.html

Of course, I'd probably want to do the same for the Paleozoic and the Cenozoic, as well. :biggrin: Well as long as I'm out and about in Time.

As for where, besides the earth, I certainly would love to go throughout the Milky Way and see those nebulae and gas clouds, and the galactic nucleus, and then off the explore all the galaxies (and bars) in the Universe. It would be interesting to find other forms of life, assuming they exist.

Astronuc said:
Going back in time, I would like to hop-skip through the Triassic, Jurrasic and Cretaceous periods (all part of the Mesozoic era) and see the dinosaurs.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mesozoic/mesozoic.html

Of course, I'd probably want to do the same for the Paleozoic and the Cenozoic, as well. :biggrin: Well as long as I'm out and about in Time.

No Precambrian?

The Cambrian Explosion was hot. :!)

waffle waffle

1. What is time travel?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time, either forwards or backwards. It is a popular theme in science fiction and has been explored in various theories and experiments in physics.

2. Is time travel possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that allows for time travel. However, some theories in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, suggest that it may be possible in the future.

3. If time travel were possible, where would you go?

If I could go anywhere in time and space, I would choose to visit significant moments in history, such as witnessing major events or meeting influential figures. I would also be interested in exploring other planets and civilizations in different time periods.

4. What are the potential consequences of time travel?

There are many theories and speculations about the consequences of time travel, including the possibility of altering the present timeline or creating paradoxes. It is also important to consider the ethical implications of changing the course of history or interfering with other civilizations.

5. How could time travel benefit humanity?

If time travel were possible, it could potentially allow us to learn from past mistakes and make different decisions for a better future. It could also open up new opportunities for exploration and knowledge, and perhaps even provide solutions for current global issues.