• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

If you spent years working as a full time engineer, what could you make part time?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Who Am I
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am trying to work my life out and I don't want my mathematical skills to go to waste, but I also don't want to be working my *** off for the rest of my life.

So, I was wondering, if you worked full time as an engineer for several years getting lots of experience, would it be possible to still make a decent sum of money part-time after that?

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I am trying to work my life out and I don't want my mathematical skills to go to waste, but I also don't want to be working my *** off for the rest of my life.

So, I was wondering, if you worked full time as an engineer for several years getting lots of experience, would it be possible to still make a decent sum of money part-time after that?
A lot of older colleagues who have retired from corporations now work part-time as consultants. Some basically started their own consulting business, and some hire other retirees. Mind one, many of them retired with generous benefits/pensions and/or retirement accounts after 4 or 5 decades of working in industry.

Why don't you want to work as hard as the rest of us for the rest of your life?

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."..........Thomas Alva Edison