Ill-posed inverse problem (linear operator estimation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the "best" estimate of a constant symmetric real matrix A, given a dynamical system x_{t+1} = Ax_t and only having knowledge of the vectors x_0 and x_1. The conversation suggests using a Bayesian approach or finding a model for the joint distribution of the observations to eliminate implausible solutions. Another suggestion is to use operator algebra techniques to solve for A iteratively.
bpet
Ok this kind of question seems to come up a lot in research and applications but has me completely stumped.

Say we have a dynamical system [tex]x_{t+1} = Ax_t[/tex] where for simplicity we'll assume A is a constant symmetric real matrix but otherwise unknown.

1. What is the "best" estimate of A, when only the vectors [tex]x_0[/tex] and [tex]x_1[/tex] are known?

2. What is the new "best" estimate of A when [tex]x_2[/tex] is observed?

Obviously it's ill-posed because there are more unknowns than data. Various generalizations of the problem could include noise, observations of only [tex]y=Bx[/tex], infinite dimensions, etc but question 1 has it in a nutshell.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
No thoughts!?

I would have replied if I fully understood the problem.

How do you define best estimate?

bpet said:
1. What is the "best" estimate of A, when only the vectors [tex]x_0[/tex] and [tex]x_1[/tex] are known?

2. What is the new "best" estimate of A when [tex]x_2[/tex] is observed?

Being a Bayesian, I would look for the "prior distribution" for the matrix [itex] A [/itex] that had maximum entropy. Then I would do a Bayesian update of [itex] A [/itex] that makes it the matrix (or one of the matrices) that makes the observed [itex] x_i [/itex] most probable.

If that proved too involved, I'd try to find a model for the joint distribution of the first n observations [itex] x_1,x_2,... x_n [/itex] (assuming A is n by n ). I'd want a model that was at least good enough to eliminate things that I think are absurd. (For example, the sequence (3.9, 4.2, 0, 0, 0, 0,...,0) might be implausible based on the physics of the problem at hand.) Given the first k observations, you could pick the matrix A by various criteria. You could pick it to be one that produces a subsequent series of observations that has a high probability. Or you could pick A to be one whose predictions are the best mean square error estimator of the subsequent observations.

I'm wondering if you can use some kind of operator algebra technique to solve for A.

Essentially you are going to be given something in terms of powers of A, where you have something like:

x1 = Ax0
xn = A^nx0

If you can get some root involving the various powers of A and x0 in terms of x1,x2,...,xn, then you can get an operator relationship for A in its powers and x0. Then by using an iterative technique, you could extract a good estimate for the linear operator A.

There is already an established theory to work out functions of linear operators given that the operator has certain conditions, and with an iterative method, I think this might be useful.

You have to check though what the requirements of the operators are for the operator algebraic techniques to work and given something useful.

1. What is an ill-posed inverse problem?

An ill-posed inverse problem refers to a type of mathematical problem where the desired solution cannot be uniquely determined or is highly sensitive to small changes in the input data. This can occur when trying to invert a linear operator to find the original input, and can lead to inaccurate or unstable solutions.

2. How is an ill-posed inverse problem different from a well-posed inverse problem?

A well-posed inverse problem is one where the solution can be uniquely determined and is stable with respect to small changes in the input data. This means that the inverse operation can be accurately and reliably applied to the output of the original operator. In contrast, an ill-posed inverse problem is not uniquely determined and can produce unstable solutions.

3. What are some real-world examples of ill-posed inverse problems?

Ill-posed inverse problems can arise in a variety of scientific and engineering fields. Some examples include image reconstruction in medical imaging, signal processing, and inverse scattering problems in physics and geophysics. They can also occur in data analysis and machine learning tasks.

4. How is regularization used to solve ill-posed inverse problems?

Regularization is a technique used to stabilize the solution of an ill-posed inverse problem by incorporating additional information or constraints into the problem. This can help to prevent overfitting and produce a more accurate and stable solution. Regularization methods include Tikhonov regularization, total variation regularization, and truncated singular value decomposition.

5. What are some challenges in estimating a linear operator in an ill-posed inverse problem?

Estimating a linear operator in an ill-posed inverse problem can be challenging due to the non-uniqueness and instability of the solution. Additionally, there may be limited or noisy input data, which can make it difficult to accurately determine the true underlying operator. Choosing an appropriate regularization method and setting the regularization parameter can also be challenging and may require trial and error.