I'm Alright, but Scared.

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
Tsu
Gold Member
Oh. OK. Whew. I don't know why I always picture Bangladesh as east of India and a bit inland - not on the coast, but thank goodness it's west of India. I can't keep my geography straight on that side of the world unless I check my atlas. :rolleyes: I check my atlas a LOT!!!111 :biggrin: I've been learning a lot about Canada's geography lately... :wink:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
uhm.. Bangladesh IS east of India and a bit inland... which map did you check :uhh:? :wink:
But I hope they're not too hard hit.

plover
Homework Helper
According to recon's map in the first post, Bangladesh is east of India but not inland. :wink: (hmm, I thought it was inland too)

(Tsu: would that be your other east? :biggrin: )

Evo
Mentor
plover said:
According to recon's map in the first post, Bangladesh is east of India but not inland. :wink: (hmm, I thought it was inland too)

(Tsu: would that be your other east? :biggrin: )
She has a sore throat and as we all know sense of direction is reversed when you're sick.

Also, doesn't it depend on if you're facing right or left?

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
does this earthquake have any relation to the ring of fire? it seems that the ring of fire is more active as of recent months.

i hope all of our members from this region are okay.

Evo
Mentor
Kerrie said:
does this earthquake have any relation to the ring of fire? it seems that the ring of fire is more active as of recent months.
Yes. Marcus posted this more technical reference to the earthquake here. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57841

The death toll is now over 11,600 and climbing, very sad.

Last edited:
Tsu
Gold Member
Monique said:
uhm.. Bangladesh IS east of India and a bit inland... which map did you check :uhh:? :wink:
But I hope they're not too hard hit.
Er.... this one:

http://geography.about.com/library/cia/blcbangladesh.htm

Which, upon second look, shows that India is both east AND west of Banglasdesh!

Hmmmm.... Well, I'm on cold drugs... :surprised :rofl: Nothing about me can be trusted right now... :rofl: :rofl:

But it looks like where Moni lives might not be getting direct hits?? I've seen numerous maps today of the epicenter location, but some have shown it to be closer to the north end of Sumatra - which would explain how Thailand got hit so badly... Hope he's doin' OK... :frown:

tumor said:
Could nuclear detonation underwater cause tsunami?
If I say yes.. will you try it? :uhh:

Does anyone know what caused the quake.I live about 10 km from the malaysian west coast but felt some slight shaking at around 9 am (malaysian time).

Evo
Mentor
kaos said:
Does anyone know what caused the quake.I live about 10 km from the malaysian west coast but felt some slight shaking at around 9 am (malaysian time).
Today's shallow, thrust-type earthquake occurred off the west coast of northern Sumatra at the interface between the India and Burma plates. In this region, the Burma plate is characterized by significant strain partitioning due to oblique convergence of the India and Australia plates to the west and the Sunda and Eurasian plates to the east. Off the west coast of northern Sumatra, the India plate is moving in a northeastward direction at about 5 cm per year relative to the Burma plate. Preliminary locations of larger aftershocks following today's earthquake show that approximately 1000 km of the plate boundary slipped as a result of the earthquake. Aftershocks are distributed along much of the shallow plate boundary between northern Sumatra (approximately 3 degrees north) to near Andaman Island (at about 14 degrees north).

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2004/usslav/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tsu
Gold Member
That is an excellent site, Sis. Did you see the animation link at the bottom of the page!?!?!? FASCINATING!! Here it is if you missed it:
(it takes a while to load, even with DSL, but well worth it)

http://staff.aist.go.jp/kenji.satake/animation.gif [Broken]

Looks like Moni may have taken a little hit, too! :frown:

Thanx for the links.Im confused about the magnitudes.There seems to be many types of magnitudes.So this quake is 9.0 on what reasoning or calculation?

Evo
Mentor
Tsunami said:
That is an excellent site, Sis. Did you see the animation link at the bottom of the page!?!?!? FASCINATING!! Here it is if you missed it:
(it takes a while to load, even with DSL, but well worth it)

http://staff.aist.go.jp/kenji.satake/animation.gif [Broken]

Looks like Moni may have taken a little hit, too! :frown:
Thank Marcus for the link!

kaos, earthquake severity ratings are based on the Richter Scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_scale

Wonder why didn't I feel a tremor (always feel a few every year)?
Ps Does anyone know if saint got hit? From the animation, Penang looked like it got hit.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Areas in Thailand got hit by tsunami as well, and I suspect that Myanmar and Bangladesh, as well as India and Sri Lanka got hit as well.

Got a friend with some family on vacation off coast of Thailand - one family member is missing - but then lots of others are missing or dead, too.

There has been a lot of volcanic and seismic activity on the Pacific Ring of Fire (remember St. Helens?) since earlier this year. The just a few days ago an earthquake ~1500 km (930 mi *) southeast of Tasmania, Australia, and now this earthquake at 8.9-9.0 on Richter scale.

All of a sudden there is a lot going on - the question is if this is a trend or surge above normal levels.

* I find many different estimates of the distance in the media

Last edited:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Adding to what Evo posted from USGS -

A previous earthquake was in the same area 2 years ago - in this area called the Sumatran subduction zone - http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/poster/2002/20021102.html

"The earthquake (November 2, 2002) occurred as a result of thrust-faulting on the boundary between the subducting Australian plate and the overriding Sunda block of the Eurasian plate. In the region of the epicenter, the Australian plate is moving about 6 cm/year in a northerly direction against the Eurasian plate. The direction of relative plate motion is oblique to the northwest trend of the plate boundary. Earthquakes such as that of November 2 accommodate the component of plate-motion that is perpendicular to the trend of the plate boundary. The component of plate-motion that is parallel to the trend of the plate boundary is mostly accommodated by strike-slip faulting in the interior of the island of Sumatra. The largest thrust-fault earthquakes in the Sumatran subduction zone in the last two centuries were that of 1833, which had a magnitude of 8.8-9.2, and that of 1861, which had a magnitude of 8.3-8.5."

==================================================

From Knight-Ridder News (Dec 26, 2004)

For decades, scientists say, tiny islands off the west coast of Sumatra have been sinking - an ominous sign that strain was building toward Sunday's great earthquake, which set off tidal waves that killed thousands of people.

Researchers don't yet know exactly what happened. But if previous giant quakes in the region are any guide, the one Sunday would have suddenly pushed up the ocean bottom by a yard or two, raising a bulge of water on the surface that rippled out in all directions.

The resulting waves, or tsunamis, would have been only a foot or so tall as they raced across the ocean at 500 to 600 mph.

==================================================

Dec. 27 (Bloomberg) -- The death toll rose to at least 12,300 after the world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years, off the Indonesian island of Sumatra, unleashed waves that flooded coastal towns from Thailand to India.

Yesterday's magnitude 9.0 quake, the fourth-largest in the world since 1900, caused waves as high as 10 meters (33 feet) to strike tourist resorts in Thailand, Malaysia and the Maldives. At least 4,448 people were killed in Indonesia, Agence France-Presse said, citing officials. Sri Lanka declared a state of disaster as about 4,300 were killed on the island.

"All round the numbers are going to rise for a couple of days,'' said Megan Chisholm, senior emergencies officer at CARE Australia, an aid organization with staff in most of the affected countries. "I don't think we'll really know the full extent of the damage for a couple of days yet, until access to all places is achieved.''

Freak waves may flood coastal cities in India for the next two days, said A.K. Shukla, head of the Indian Meteorological Department. As many as 200,000 may have lost their homes in Sri Lanka, President Chandrika Kumaratunga said.

"The power of this earthquake, and its huge geographical reach, are just staggering,'' said Carol Bellamy, executive director for the UN Children's Fund, in a statement. "Hundreds of thousands of children in coastal communities in six countries may be in serious jeopardy.''

In India at least 3,223 people are dead following the freak waves that hit the country's south coast, according to updated death tolls reported by the Press Trust of India. Unicef and other United Nations agencies are working with countries and are ready to respond where help is needed.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is really sad news. The most recent news I read, the death toll was up to 16,000. Recon and Kluesner, I'm glad you're both okay and were able to check in and let us know that. That is so sad seeing all those children dead. This is also the peak vacation season, so according to the story I read on it, the beaches were also pretty packed with European travelers in addition to the local residents.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are now reports that as many as 30,000 people may be dead. What a terrible, terrible tragedy.

I wonder how may PFers live in Asia besides Kluesner, omicron, Recon & Saint.

SAINT lives in Bruneii, I guess waves did not get him.But who knows what might happen next over there.
P.S.
Bruneii is on the other side of Indonesian islands by the way.

Ivan Seeking said:
Klusener, where are you located? How strong was the quake at your location?
Right at the brunt of the tsunami, in chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.. right near Marina beach, when i went to the beach, there were bodies right along the shore.. :frown:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chennai? I hope Karthik is Ok..

I don't want to beg for donations or anything.. but please help the following relief organizations, they are the ones who will be the most effective in helping the 14,500 people dead in both sri lanka and india..

Indian Red Cross society

address:
Indian Red Cross Society, TNB,
No.50, Montieth Road, Egmore, Chennai-8, Chennai, Tamil nadu - 600 008
Ph: 8554425

or the..

Prime Minister of India Relief Fund -

The cheque or draft should be addressed to the Prime Minister's national relief fund and should be sent to the Prime Minister's office, South block, New Delhi.

what would be great is if the whole PF joins together and creates a trust or organization of some sort, i am sure Greg is capable of doing this and PF helps all the countries affected by this and the families of the 21,000 and climbing death toll..

klusener said:
I don't want to beg for donations or anything.. but please help the following relief organizations, they are the ones who will be the most effective in helping the 14,500 people dead in both sri lanka and india..

Indian Red Cross society

address:
Indian Red Cross Society, TNB,
No.50, Montieth Road, Egmore, Chennai-8, Chennai, Tamil nadu - 600 008
Ph: 8554425

or the..

Prime Minister of India Relief Fund -

The cheque or draft should be addressed to the Prime Minister's national relief fund and should be sent to the Prime Minister's office, South block, New Delhi.

Update: our local red cross is accepting clothes and food, since they need to provide immediate access to the victims, even this would be better than money...