Brunei's Response to the 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
In summary, an 8.9 magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia on Sunday, triggering massive tidal waves that slammed into villages and seaside resorts across Asia. Thousands of people have died, with the death toll expected to rise as rescue operations continue.
The official death toll is over 125,000, with the current speculation, which has been seriously underestimating the numbers all along, being a final count reaching 400,000 dead. Then we have the post disaster toll, with over 5 million people in immediate jeapordy... I saw some footage of the tsunami taken from an island near the epicenter of the quake. The rate of flow, and the depth of the water was amazing. It was absolutely terrifying to watch. Some places were said hit with a 60 foot wall of water many miles in length.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder what the debunking experts will make of this:

http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index624.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert, but I feel safe in saying that no meteorite caused a 9.0 magnitude earthquake in this case.

Incidentally, the author of that article has also written a book called "Blood Red: Human connections to 'God' through iron in blood"

EDIT: I'm genuinely concerned. Is the following true?

In my book Blood Red: Human connections to 'God' through iron in blood I had detailed the importance of the iron in all living animals blood as being the essential component in receiving both higher and lower frequency warnings from not only natural catastrophes but also those of extraterrestrial origin. I further explain how Western peoples are becoming more iron deficient with their mass produced foods, leading to greater obesity epidemics in their countries, and the promotion to their children’s minds of vegetarian diets through mass indoctrination by their educational institutions.

Western peoples are totally without factual knowledge of their body’s inner workings and the associations between iron, blood, hormones, magnetic and the electro-chemical reactions needing to occur within them for the successful reaching of their total inner potentials. Click here for more.

Last edited:
recon said:
Incidentally, the author of that article has also written a book called "Blood Red: Human connections to 'God' through iron in blood"

NO!

This person is a flake!

recon said:

yes it is all true. westerners have no factual knowledge about their bodies. and the iron in my blood is like a danger compass and my penis is just a little bit over 11 inches long and I can wiggle it like an elephant trunk.

If you are genuinely concerned about that article you should be eeven more concerned about that Alzheimer's you've suddenly become afflicted with

I guess I must learn to use more smilies from this day forth. :wink: Posts without smilies often fail to get the point across. :blushing:

LOL, I was genuinely concerned you had lost your mind
I get away without the smilies, because they are implied by virtue of I'm full of crap. You need to always use them.

Last edited:
recon said:
I guess I must learn to use more smilies from this day forth. :wink: Posts without smilies often fail to get the point across. :blushing:
Oh thank goodness! :rofl: :rofl:

I was afraid something terrible had happened to you! I was thinking "this isn't the recon I know". What's going on? PHEW! What a relief!

Don't post things like that without smilies anymore! :grumpy:

recon, those articles are funny, frightening because they're real, but funny!

recon said:
I wonder what the debunking experts will make of this:

http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index624.htm
:rofl:

Not when it states - "Australian researcher Professor Ted Bryant had previously warned about just such an event happening in his book, Tsunami - The Underrated Hazard. He also ‘backed up his dire warning’ with a time and a date: 8pm on February 22, 1491, . . ." :rofl:

That was a long time ago, and before Australia was discovered by Europeans. :rofl:

I guess it was just a typo - this guy better find the right date.

If this had been caused by a meteorite, it should have been big enough to see in daylight.

And besides the simulations and the tsunami impacts indicate it was an earthquake along a length of fault line. There was very little wave energy going north and south - but rather it went east-west - somewhat assymetrically, which would tend to disprove a meteoric impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, i don't know whether to laugh or not, but in both cases, don't send any clothes to chennai, all the locals here just throw away the clothes, they are all laying on the streets like trash, here the people say that they don't want to wear western clothes, so they just throw them away.. one part of my mind says foolish, the other says stubborn patriots...

klusener said:
lol, i don't know whether to laugh or not, but in both cases, don't send any clothes to chennai, all the locals here just throw away the clothes, they are all laying on the streets like trash, here the people say that they don't want to wear western clothes, so they just throw them away.. one part of my mind says foolish, the other says stubborn patriots...
Ask the people
Ever heard of a gift horse?
How about who can't be choosers?

klusener said:
This kind of stuff should be in the News more often. Good for them.

Smurf said:
This kind of stuff should be in the News more often. Good for them.
I disagree, it is a slap in the face to the kind hearted people that cared enough to donate those clothes. I doubt anyone that donated clothing when they heard how desperately they needed clothing there stopped to wonder if the "style" of the clothing would matter.

that's exactly how i feel, evo.. infact a couple of friends of mine are planning to collect some of the clothes and send it to other countries where they will atleast accept it, currently i am leaning towards the foolish side in my opinion of these people..

On the other hand, people in the industrial countries (in N America, S America, Europe, Asia, Australia) need to be more culturally sensitive and aware of appropriate clothes for the region.

Another thought, why do these countriesnow suffering from the tsunami only get attention from the West when there is a major crisis.

I have been collecting warm clothes (coats, jackets, pants, shoes, blankets) for folks in Afghanistan - the winters there are harsh, especially in the mountains. However, some people have given me summer clothes, or high-heeled shoes, which are inappropriate - even though they are given with the best or at least good intentions (but I wonder sometimes).

Also, I get jackets with US sports teams or other cultural symbols. In some parts of a country like Afghanistan or Pakistan, that could make someone a target for those who may have sympathies for the Taliban or who are simply hostile to the US.

Astronuc said:
On the other hand, people in the industrial countries (in N America, S America, Europe, Asia, Australia) need to be more culturally sensitive and aware of appropriate clothes for the region.
The agencies accepting clothing stated they wanted warm weather clothing - shorts, shortsleeved shirts, sandals, etc... I may understand the women not being comfortable with some of the donated clothing because of religious belief, but for the men and children, it should have been acceptable from photographs I've seen of their daily wear.

Evo said:
The agencies accepting clothing stated they wanted warm weather clothing - shorts, shortsleeved shirts, sandals, etc...

I may understand the women not being comfortable with some of the donated clothing because of religious belief, but for the men and children, it should have been acceptable from photographs I've seen of their daily wear.

India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Thailand are a quite different situation to Afghanistan. The only point I was trying to make was for people to give some thought to the cultural sensitivities. But you are correct, it should not be a problem from most men and children. Nevertheless, some of the areas hit are the most remote and furthest from modern urbanized areas, so perhaps older traditional customs preclude some Western clothing.

In fact one aid organization said that cash (monetary) would be preferable so that they can buy local clothing and products that would be more acceptable.

I thinks its great the outpouring of aid, and I hope the world (particularly those who have a negative view of the US) notices that the Americans are concerned and caring.

Astronuc said:
Another thought, why do these countriesnow suffering from the tsunami only get attention from the West when there is a major crisis.

Who told you that? FOX TV or CNN? . Whole world is helping victims of Tsunami not the west only.Other nations help as much as they can.

Last edited:
Re: Another thought, why do these countriesnow suffering from the tsunami only get attention from the West when there is a major crisis.

I was thinking openly, which in public is sometimes risky. I was not referring to the aid now, but generally thinking about the ways of the world over the last 40+ years from personal experience.

I am having second thoughts about the question given the context of the thread.

If anyone finds it offensive, I will remove it.

Astronuc said:
India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Thailand are a quite different situation to Afghanistan.
Yes, not just climate, don't many women in Afghanistan still wear the full burka?

The only point I was trying to make was for people to give some thought to the cultural sensitivities.
I would hope that the disaster workers would know what is appropriate to hand out. The donations of clothes taken in, although innapropriate for the above countries could still be used in other countries by these agencies. I would wonder why more sommon sense was not used.

Nevertheless, some of the areas hit are the most remote and furthest from modern urbanized area
One of the saddest things is that some of the small remote islands had some of the most isolated and ancient tribes on earth, they are thought to have been mostly, if not completely wiped out.

so perhaps older traditional customs preclude some Western clothing.
Again, this I see as the fault of the disaster workers, although I know that they are doing their best under extreme conditions.

In fact one aid organization said that cash (monetary) would be preferable so that they can buy local clothing and products that would be more acceptable.
I think the majority of those donating have donated money because it is the easiest way, requires the least effort. I donate clothes and furnishings to a couple of local charities here that do front door pickups regularly. If I had to haul this stuff myself, I would never do it.

I spent a couple of months without a job or a place to live once. If someone was nice enough to give me something I thanked them. If I couldn't use it I found someone who could or I didn't take it at all. Never take something only to throw it away.

klusener said:
that's exactly how i feel, evo.. infact a couple of friends of mine are planning to collect some of the clothes and send it to other countries where they will atleast accept it, currently i am leaning towards the foolish side in my opinion of these people..

Especially when one considers that nearly all US clothing is made in Asia. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Especially when one considers that nearly all US clothing is made in Asia. :biggrin:

That reminded me of this:
(Its a parody, don't take it seriously please)
http://www.b3ta.com/board/4110029

Some countries have requested that donor countries "quit sending doctors"; they have too many. Sri Lanka's relief people on site are now "flooded with material goods and money". Help is finally getting to the remote areas.

Today they found some people who have been floating in a raft ever since the disaster.

What I can't imagine is how anyone can do the terrible work of recovering and identifying the bodies. What a job! I can't even imagine... What would month, or even a day of that be like?

again, i don't know whether to be surprised or not at the Andaman and Nicobar islands.. our government is not letting any NGOs in there, because some of the most primitive societies in the word live there, and the gov. is afraid that once you let western society in, it is going to ruin the native society, for example, you know as soon as you let those people in, as fast as one can say hello, christian missionaries will be in there trying to convert the people to christianity and the gov. wants to protect the customs of the people... But at the same time, there are thousands of people needing help, of course it is not as if they are being completely denied help, the government itself spends a lot of money helping them, from the Prime Minister Relief Funds, which people from all the world donate to.. but the issue here is that western orgs, like Doctors without Borders are not allowed, i already stated why.. For me, I find this acceptable as long as the people living there are treated and provided with help by our own government, but if I hear any reports that are contrary this, which would mean that the people are suffering due to ignorance, then maybe i would push for other orgs coming in there. But I have not heard anything supporting this, so I have not changed my mind.