I'm confused about college degrees and majors.

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the term "liberal arts" and its relationship to majors and degrees. The person is interested in pursuing a liberal arts education, but is unsure about the options and requirements at different colleges and universities. The conversation also mentions specific programs at Bowdoin College and the University of Maine, and the historic meaning of the liberal arts.
Mallignamius
My heart is with physics, but I know that a Liberal Arts education is a better fit. The thing is, as I read through the literature and programs, I have become confused:

Wikipedia said:
Bowdoin College, founded in 1794, is a private liberal arts college...

Bowdoin offers majors in African Studies, Anthropology, Art History, Asian Studies, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Classics, Computer Science, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, French, Gender and Women's Studies, Geology, German, Government, History, Latin American Studies, Mathematics, Music, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Physics and Astronomy, Psychology, Religion, Russian, Sociology, Spanish, and Visual Arts. In addition, the college offers minors in Theatre, Dance, Education, Film Studies, and Gay and Lesbian Studies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowdoin_College"

I'm interested in a liberal arts degree. I see these majors but I don't see "liberal arts" in that list. Should I take that to mean that while I might pursue a liberal arts degree, I also declare a major from that list? I had thought that liberal arts would be the major. I don't understand this.

The University of Maine Graduate School offers "Advanced Degree Options," which includes "Liberal Studies" in a list like "Accounting, Animal Sciences, Biochemistry, Biological Engineering..."

http://factsheets.umaine.edu/UWP/7c-GRD.pdf

They offer an MA (Master of Arts) in Liberal Studies (at the graduate level).

http://www2.umaine.edu/graduate/content/File/mals-brochure.pdf

Does this mean that one can have an MA in Liberal Studies with a major in x? I guess my confusion might be a misunderstanding of what a major is versus a degree. I thought they were the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A "liberal arts education" / "liberal arts degree" is not a specific major or program. If you take any major (including Physics) under the header of the "College of Arts & Sciences" at most universities in the U.S. you're required to take all sorts of stuff like literature courses and history courses and whatnot in addition to your physics courses. This is what is meant by a liberal arts degree. There may be a "liberal studies" major at some colleges, this has nothing to do with a "liberal arts degree."

The liberal arts have a historic meaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts

Specifically degrees with a major in something like philosophy, english literature, or history are what is standardly considered the "liberal arts degree." But generally, getting a liberal arts degree pretty much means you're studying in a college titled "arts and sciences" and not in a business college or school of engineering.

Malignamius, you are expecting too much worth of a "Liberal Arts" degree program. Could you use a major field of Physics with either a minor in another subject area? Maybe include some advised courses of English, languages, and social sciences. Also, you checked and made a quote from a wikipedia article of a college. If you want to look at college and university programs, check a real website of the institution or check an actual copy of the catalog. Many institutions offer an official "Liberal Arts" or "Liberal Studies" program. You could attend one of those, and place extra emphasis on Mathematics and/or Physics.

What is the difference between a college degree and a major?

A college degree refers to the completion of a specific academic program, typically consisting of a set number of required courses and credits. A major, on the other hand, refers to a specific subject or field of study within a degree program. For example, a student pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology may choose to major in Microbiology.

How do I choose a major?

Choosing a major can be a daunting task, but it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different majors and their course requirements, talk to academic advisors and professionals in your desired field, and consider taking introductory courses in different subjects to see what best aligns with your interests and skills.

Can I change my major?

Yes, most colleges and universities allow students to change their major at any point during their academic career. However, it is important to keep in mind that changing majors may result in additional coursework and potentially delay graduation. It is important to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a major change.

Do I need to have a specific major to pursue a certain career?

In some cases, certain careers may require a specific major or degree, such as engineering or nursing. However, many careers value transferable skills and experiences more than a specific major. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career and speak with professionals in the field to determine the best major for you.

What can I do with a liberal arts degree?

A liberal arts degree provides a well-rounded education and can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as business, communication, education, government, and more. The critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills gained through a liberal arts education are highly valued by employers in a wide range of industries.