I'm going to be majoring in physics in the spring.

In summary, the speaker has no prior experience with physics but is interested in pursuing it and believes they have the ability to learn an applied science. They are seeking recommendations for primer books to prepare for university in the spring. The other person suggests focusing on reviewing high school mathematics and recommends reading a calculus book, specifically one by Stewart that covers vectors.
corydhorton
I have had no previous experience with physics, but I know it's what I want to do and I believe that I am capable of learning an applied science. I also have never taken a calculus course in high school. I came here for some recommendations on primer books that I could read to be better prepared for university in the spring. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I would say go over the mathematics you learned at school. You'll re-learn all the physics at university, so don't bother with going over your physics. If you really want to get a start, try read a calculus book, you can get it from the library or what not. Something like Stewart would be good. Especially the bits on vectors.

Congratulations on your decision to major in physics! It is an exciting and challenging field that offers endless opportunities for discovery and innovation.

I can assure you that having no previous experience in physics or calculus should not discourage you from pursuing this path. In fact, many successful physicists and scientists come from diverse backgrounds and have had different levels of exposure to the subject before starting their university studies.

To prepare for your physics major, I would recommend starting with some basic concepts and principles of physics. "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman are two excellent introductory books that cover the fundamentals of physics in a clear and engaging manner.

In addition, it would be beneficial to brush up on your mathematical skills, particularly in calculus. "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William Briggs are excellent resources for self-study and will provide a strong foundation for your future studies in physics.

Finally, I would also suggest reaching out to your university's physics department or professors for any recommended reading materials or resources that can help you prepare for your studies. They may also have additional tips and advice for you as you embark on your physics journey.

Remember, learning physics is a continuous process, and it is normal to face challenges along the way. Stay motivated, stay curious, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I wish you all the best in your future studies and discoveries in physics.

Related to I'm going to be majoring in physics in the spring.

1. What can I do with a major in physics?

A major in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, education, finance, and technology. Many physics majors go on to work in areas such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and healthcare. Additionally, a degree in physics can provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in various fields.

2. Is physics a difficult major?

Physics is a challenging major that requires a strong aptitude for mathematics and critical thinking. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in the field of physics. Many universities offer resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students excel in their coursework.

3. What skills will I develop with a major in physics?

As a physics major, you will develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and quantitative skills. You will also gain experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and communicating complex ideas effectively. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can be applied to a variety of career paths.

4. Do I need to have previous experience in physics to major in it?

No, you do not need to have prior experience in physics to major in it. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and science is essential for success in the major. Many universities offer introductory physics courses for students who are new to the subject.

5. What can I expect from a physics major curriculum?

A typical physics major curriculum includes courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and laboratory work. You may also have the opportunity to choose electives in specialized areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, or particle physics. The curriculum may also include a senior thesis or research project to apply your knowledge and skills in a specific area of physics.