Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm going to do something. I NEED TO know if it's safe

  1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    first off you need to know two things. 1. I just bought some super strong neodymium magnets. They are super small, shaped like rounded corner cubes about 3mm wide. The second thing you need to know is I do a lot of magic tricks.
    If I swallow one of these magnets I think the possibilities for neat magic tricks are obvious. but I want to know if I'm going to die if I do. There are no sharp edges to worry about and I'm sure I can pass one through my system.
    gimme some feedback
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2
    your crazy....they're gonna really hurt comin out:rofl:
  4. Jan 21, 2006 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Stay far, far away from thumbtacks, paperclips, pushpins, um... I suppose your computer too, but for different reasons!
  5. Jan 21, 2006 #4
    they are smaller than a peanut and don't have as sharp of edges
  6. Jan 21, 2006 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor


    The acids in your stomach will attack the protective coating on the magnets, they wont be pretty when/if they come out [for more than one reason].
  7. Jan 21, 2006 #6
    Why not just OD on iron pills and die? :)

    I doubt that swallowing magnets is safe...
  8. Jan 21, 2006 #7
    yeah I was wondering about that. is neodymium toxic?
  9. Jan 21, 2006 #8


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Even if you do swallow it, the magnet will not nearly be powerful enough to feel the effects outside your body.
  10. Jan 21, 2006 #9
    I think I can affect a compass from that distance. and I also think I could get it to hold up another magnet on my outside. but then I run the pinch risk.
  11. Jan 21, 2006 #10
    here goes nothing
  12. Jan 21, 2006 #11
    If you win a darwin award for this i swear to god i will kick your ass.
  13. Jan 21, 2006 #12


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Brittle, sintered, sharp fracture edges, possibly close enough to the abdominal surface to be strongly attracted to your belt buckle? Dunno if I'd recommend it --- the chances of performing the first, live, no-hands appendectomy aren't all that large, but still ....

    If you can get a good mm or two of high density polyethylene coating to hold the things together, it might be safer. However, the m.p. of the polyethylene is gonna be higher than what the magnets take without losing their magnetism, so that's gonna be tough.
  14. Jan 21, 2006 #13
    http://webcenter.health.webmd.netscape.com/content/article/95/103531.htm [Broken]

    Do not do it!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  15. Jan 21, 2006 #14
    i think it sounds like a great idea. get video of all your neat tricks. see how far you can let it go down your throat and use the other magnet to suck it up.
  16. Jan 21, 2006 #15


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I cant find many good MSDS sheets about neodymium, but NdCl3 doesnt look to good, and the Iron in the magnets reacting with the HCl in your stomach definatly isnt too good.
    http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/F1678.htm (look under ingestion)
  17. Jan 21, 2006 #16
    thats only for multiple magnets. don't listen to silly medical reports. you know... i hear magents make a man look sexy...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  18. Jan 21, 2006 #17
    You're right Gale, that is for more than one magnet. Alright then, go for it trib :smile:
  19. Jan 21, 2006 #18


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    well...trib hasn't posted for an hour :uhh:
  20. Jan 21, 2006 #19


    User Avatar

    Actually, the magnetic field won't be strong enough to do anything but affect the compass. He can't hold a magnet up on his belly or anything.
  21. Jan 21, 2006 #20


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Cows will be given magnets to attract any hardware (nails, etc.) that they may have ingested. However, I doubt they are ever given more than one at a time. If I'm not mistaken, they often stay in the stomach.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook