1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm having discipline problems.

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1
    I thought I could handle myself, right now, I am studying independently trying to get my prerequisites for an engineering program...

I am having trouble with putting 8+ hours in every day.

How the heck do you remain consistent and on top of your game for months straight?

Any general solutions for optimizing motivation and developing self-discipline will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need a strong personal reason to keep going.

A coach can help with this. Being passionate about the subject works too... you'll find the people at the top of a field tend to get very obsessive about the work. Everyone else kinda muddles through on sheer bloody-mindedness and peer pressure.

Merely wanting to make the prerequisites for a course is seldom strong enough motivation.
    A lot of people work better surrounded by classmates ... there is that social pressure to keep going.

But nobody remains consistent and on top of their game for months straight.

Everyone has some downtime to relax, blow off steam, and so on.
    When you start making silly mistakes etc - you need to take a break.

Relax. Get a tutor.

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3
    Thanks so much for the reply, really needed this. Its good to have such a perspective and to have this encouragement.

This means a great deal to me, so thank you.

5. Nov 8, 2013 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why are you studying independently? Can you take community college classes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook