I'm not sure I understand the problem, can someone clarify?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
In summary, there are 254 possible symbols that can be represented by a sequence of seven or fewer dots and dashes.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm not sure where to begin with this problem becuase I don't think I know what they are trying to tell me.

Heres what it says:

In morse code, Symobls are represented by variable-length sequences of dots and dashes. For example, A = .-, 1 = . - - - -, ? = . . - - . .
How many different symobls can be represented by sequences of seven or fewwer dots and dashes?

So are they saying, I have a total number of 7 either dots or dashes to work with and how many different permutations can i get with that? or how many different combinations can i get with that?

Order shouldn't matter, they didn't say it did, and also repeitions not allowed becuase you don't want 2, A's, ?'s, etc.

So that leaves me to think its combinations.

Would this be correct?

combinations formula is the following:
Choosing r items from n possibilities:
n!/[r! (n-r)!]

so your choose 2 items from 7 possibilities
r = 2
n = 7

7!/[2!5!] = 21 different symbols can be represeented by sequences of seven or fewer dots and dashes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for sequences of Seven or fewer, so you are not done yet. I think you will have to compute 7 cases, but once you see the pattern the number for each case should be easy to find. Also, I would say you are looking at permutations, not combinations, since we can map different symbols to .- and -.

If this is the case, what would the number be?

hm...if its permutations then it should be pretty straight forward using:
P(n,r) = n!/(n-r)!
That means order does matter, so
n = 7
r = 2
7!/(5)! = 42 different symbols which sounds more correct than 21.

42 symbols? That doesn't sound remotely correct. Why are you doing it with permutations or combinations? It is just asking how many strings of length 1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7 can be made up from 2 symbols, be they dots, dashes, or zeroes and ones. You are off by a factor of around 5.5.

matt, I'm not sure i understand how your supose to figure this out. All the problems I've been doing invovle permutations or combinations that's why I thought that's how it would be solved.
WHen you say strings of length 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, could i do it directly and say:
1 = . or -
2 = .- or .-
3 = .-. or -.. or ..- or --- or ...
4 = 4!
5 = 5!
6 = 6!
7 = 7!

but I'm getting huge numbers, I'm not sure i follow

or is it just

2^n? 2^7 = 128

Last edited:
You've not counted strings of length 2 correctly.

(2^7)+(2^6)+(2^5)+(2^4)+(2^3)+(2^2)+(2^1)= 2^8-2 = 254

hows that look?

That looks perfect.

Thanks matt!

What does it mean when someone says "I'm not sure I understand the problem, can someone clarify?"

When someone says this, it means that they are having trouble comprehending the problem and need additional information or clarification in order to fully understand it.

Why is it important to clarify the problem?

Clarifying the problem is important because it ensures that everyone involved in solving it has a clear understanding of what needs to be addressed. This can prevent misunderstandings and lead to more efficient problem-solving.

How can someone clarify a problem?

There are several ways to clarify a problem, such as asking specific questions, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using visual aids or examples, or seeking input from others.

What should I do if I don't understand the problem?

If you don't understand the problem, it's important to ask for clarification. Don't be afraid to admit that you don't understand and ask for more information or examples to help you better comprehend the problem.

Is it okay to ask for clarification multiple times?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for clarification multiple times. It's important to fully understand the problem in order to effectively solve it, so don't hesitate to ask for clarification as many times as needed.