1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a very basic physics question

1. Mar 7, 2004 #1
    Actually, I guess I have two questions...

OK, if a 2 Kg bird wants to drop at a rate of 1.2 m/s^2, what is the magnatude and direction of the force that the bird must exert?

(Answer is 17.2 N, but I don't understand what work to do to get it)

As for the second: If a car with a mass of 800 Kg traveling at 20 m/s slams on the breaks and comes to a complete stop after 1.5 seconds, what is the force the car feels?

(Answer is 10,667 N,but I don't understand what work to do to get it)

Any help is greatly appreciated. And if helping others doesn't make you happy, at least mastering these problems will make you feel smart.

:wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The first problem is f=ma (or a=f/m) and the second is that plus a=s/t

4. Mar 9, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm sure russ meant a=v/t.

5. Mar 9, 2004 #4
    I figured the problems out the morning they were due. But thanks for the help anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?