How Do Birds Control Their Falling Speed and Cars Stop Quickly?

In summary, the first question involves calculating the force that a 2 Kg bird must exert to drop at a rate of 1.2 m/s^2, which is 17.2 N in magnitude. The second question involves calculating the force a car with a mass of 800 Kg feels when it slams on the brakes and comes to a complete stop after 1.5 seconds, which is 10,667 N. To solve these problems, the equations f=ma and a=v/t must be used. Help from others can lead to understanding and a sense of accomplishment.
Big Rudy
Actually, I guess I have two questions...

OK, if a 2 Kg bird wants to drop at a rate of 1.2 m/s^2, what is the magnatude and direction of the force that the bird must exert?

(Answer is 17.2 N, but I don't understand what work to do to get it)

As for the second: If a car with a mass of 800 Kg traveling at 20 m/s slams on the breaks and comes to a complete stop after 1.5 seconds, what is the force the car feels?

(Answer is 10,667 N,but I don't understand what work to do to get it)

Any help is greatly appreciated. And if helping others doesn't make you happy, at least mastering these problems will make you feel smart.

:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem is f=ma (or a=f/m) and the second is that plus a=s/t

Originally posted by russ_watters
... and the second is that plus a=s/t
I'm sure russ meant a=v/t.

I figured the problems out the morning they were due. But thanks for the help anyway.

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand how the physical world around us works and to explain natural phenomena using mathematical equations.

2. What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These branches cover different aspects of physics such as motion, forces, electricity and magnetism, heat and energy, and the behavior of matter on a small and large scale.

3. How does physics help us in our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we observe. It helps us understand how things work and enables us to develop new technologies that improve our lives. For example, physics principles are used in the design of cars, airplanes, and smartphones, as well as in medical equipment like MRI machines.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it's a difficult subject that only geniuses can understand. In reality, physics is a logical and systematic approach to understanding the world around us, and anyone can learn and apply its concepts with the right guidance and effort. Another misconception is that physics only deals with theoretical concepts and has no real-world applications, which is far from the truth.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it's essential to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This can include solving problems, conducting experiments, and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups. It's also crucial to ask questions and seek help when needed to clarify any confusing concepts.