I'm not sure what circuit board to get?

In summary, the person is new to making a magnetic levitron and is seeking advice on what type of circuit board to use and where to get it. They know how to solder and are asking for recommendations for a specific website to order the board from. They also ask for advice on whether to use a breadboard circuit, PCB, or stripboard. The expert advises using a white plug-in breadboard and soldering short 24AWG solid wires for larger components.
guitarphysics
I'm planning on making a magnetic levitron, but I'm very new at all of this, so I have no idea what type of circuit board I should get and where I should get it. I know how to solder already, so that's not an issue. This is the website that has instructions on making the levitron, with a circuit scheme on page 2- http://sklep.avt.pl/photo/_pdf/AVT2741-2.pdf
Could anyone recommend a website from which I can order a board, and if I need to get something specific? Thanks :)
*Edit*
Should I use a breadboard circuit or a PCB? Or stripboard?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I really need an answer on this, I have no idea what board to get.

guitarphysics said:
I'm planning on making a magnetic levitron, but I'm very new at all of this, so I have no idea what type of circuit board I should get and where I should get it. I know how to solder already, so that's not an issue. This is the website that has instructions on making the levitron, with a circuit scheme on page 2- http://sklep.avt.pl/photo/_pdf/AVT2741-2.pdf
Could anyone recommend a website from which I can order a board, and if I need to get something specific? Thanks :)
*Edit*
Should I use a breadboard circuit or a PCB? Or stripboard?

The circuit doesn't look too sensitive, so I'd probably go with a white plug-in breadboard. For components that have leads that are too large for the plug-in holes, you can solder short 24AWG solid wires to their leads to accommodate the plug-board.

protoboard.jpe

What factors should I consider when choosing a circuit board?

When choosing a circuit board, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of your project, the type of components you will be using, the size and layout of the board, and any specific features or capabilities you need.

What is the difference between a through-hole and surface mount circuit board?

Through-hole circuit boards have components that are inserted into holes on the board and soldered on the other side, while surface mount boards have components that are soldered directly onto the surface of the board. Through-hole boards are typically easier to assemble and repair, while surface mount boards are smaller and more compact.

How do I determine the appropriate size for my circuit board?

The size of your circuit board will depend on the size and number of components you will be using, as well as the overall size and design of your project. It is important to leave enough space between components for proper heat dissipation and to avoid interference between circuits.

What type of material is best for a circuit board?

The most common material used for circuit boards is fiberglass, specifically a type called FR-4. This is a flame-retardant material that is strong, durable, and has good electrical properties. Other materials can be used, such as ceramic or flexible materials, but they may be more expensive or have specific limitations.

Can I design my own circuit board or do I need to hire a professional?

It is possible to design your own circuit board, but it requires knowledge of circuit design and layout, as well as specialized software. If you are new to circuit design, it may be best to hire a professional to ensure the board is properly designed and meets your project's requirements.