Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm probably posting in the wrong area, but where can i find the

1. Nov 20, 2003 #1
    I'm probably posting in the wrong area, but where can i find the Modulus for different type of steel? Is there any sites that list this???

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2003 #2
    Here are some typical values that i took directly off my Engineering Materials Textbook, but i don't know if this is what your looking for?
    You looking for elasticity? shear? resilience? rupture?

Modulus of Elasticity (GPa):

Aluminum 69
    Brass 97
    Copper 110
    Magnesium 45
    Nickel 207
    Steel 207
    Titanium 107
    Tungsten 407

Shear Modulus (GPa): (same order, top -> first, bottom -> last)
    25, 37, 46, 17, 76, 83, 45, 160

4. Dec 7, 2003 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

www.matweb.com is an online listing of materials resources.

The only downside is you can't really tell what the specific differences are between the materials. For example: I used the site to find an aluminum alloy for use in a group project. My fear is that there are properties about the alloy which aren't listed which will make it an unideal choice.

Professor: "Those are nice calculations you've spent the last 4 weeks working on. Unfortunately, the alloy you picked breaks down readily in the presence of monatomic oxygen, and is therefore an extremely poor choice for the skin of a spacecraft."

enigma: "DOH!"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?