I'm reading about electroreception in fish

• Thread starter Minimaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary: ENIn summary, the conversation discusses the topic of electroreception in fish, specifically focusing on the electric organ in the tail and how it produces an electric field. The speaker also mentions the use of a conductor in an electric field and how it can be affected by the permittivity of the material. The conversation then poses a question about the potential distortion of the electric field when passing through plants or stones in the sea. The summary concludes with the speaker's expectation that the current would decrease due to the lower conductivity of these objects.
Minimaster
Im reading about electroreception in fish, so I wanted to check something. If you look at the http://img94.imageshack.us/i/capturesrt.jpg/" you see this fish has some kind of electric organ in its tail which produces an electric field. That field is then detected on the front part of the body.
As far as I know, if I place a conductor in el. field Ill get something like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/VFPt_superconductor_ball_E-field.svg/120px-VFPt_superconductor_ball_E-field.svg.png" that depends on the permittivity but the field inside won't be zero.

So, what kind of distorsion would you expect to happen to E field while passing through plants or stones in the sea?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Minimaster said:
Im reading about electroreception in fish, so I wanted to check something. If you look at the http://img94.imageshack.us/i/capturesrt.jpg/" you see this fish has some kind of electric organ in its tail which produces an electric field. That field is then detected on the front part of the body.
As far as I know, if I place a conductor in el. field Ill get something like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/VFPt_superconductor_ball_E-field.svg/120px-VFPt_superconductor_ball_E-field.svg.png" that depends on the permittivity but the field inside won't be zero.

So, what kind of distorsion would you expect to happen to E field while passing through plants or stones in the sea?
Welcome to PF.

You have shown us a diagram of electric field lines when a spherical conductor is placed in a uniform electric field, such as one produced by two large parallel charged plates. This is quite different than the electric field produced by an electric eel.

The eel does not feel the electric field directly. If feels changes in current. It creates a potential difference between its tail and its nose and detects the amount of current in its nose. That will vary depending on the conductivity of its immediate surroundings.

I would expect that plants and stones would have lower conductivity (increase resistance) so the current would decrease when passing close to such objects.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is electroreception in fish?

Electroreception in fish is the ability of certain species of fish to sense and detect electrical fields in their environment. This sense is mainly used for navigation, communication, and detecting prey.

2. How do fish use electroreception?

Fish use electroreception by having specialized organs called electroreceptors, which are located in their skin or in specialized structures such as the ampullae of Lorenzini. These electroreceptors detect changes in electrical fields in their surroundings and send signals to the fish's central nervous system.

3. Which fish have electroreception?

Electroreception is found in a diverse range of fish species, including sharks, catfish, rays, and some species of bony fish. It is particularly well-developed in species that live in murky or dark environments, such as deep sea fish or fish that live in rivers with low visibility.

4. Can electroreception be used for communication?

Yes, electroreception can be used for communication among fish. Some species, such as electric fish, use electrical signals to communicate with each other. These signals can convey information about mating, territory, or social status.

5. How is electroreception studied in fish?

Electroreception in fish is studied through a combination of behavioral observations, electrophysiological recordings, and genetic studies. Scientists also use specialized equipment, such as electrodes and electrical fields, to test the sensitivity and function of electroreceptors in different fish species.

Back