1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm trying to understand how an electron microscope works

Tags:
  1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    I know an electron microscope can collect x-rays emitted by electron holes, backscattered electrons as well as secondary electrons. I get that an electron's wavelength is much smaller than a photons, thus you get finer image resolution, but how exactly does a shorter wavelength mean a finer resolution? I know the photon's longer wavelength causes it to "overlook" finer details, but how exactly does a wave "overlook" something?

How does a wavelength interact with a physical surface to cause this? I could see this making more sense if i treat a wave as a particle oscillating in space and, when fired down vertically, hits a steep surface horizontally and reflects off into a detector... but I dont think that's what really happens. And if you treat an electron as a wave, how do you end up with backscattered electrons?

I guess what im really saying is I dont know how to bridge the gap between the electron's wave-like nature and its physical counterpart.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The effect is similar to how a low pitch sound will travel around objects better than a high pitch one will. However a particle isn't just a simple wave, it is a wave packet. In a manner similar to how a sound wave can bounce off an object, particles can bounce off objects they cannot pass through as well.

4. Jun 16, 2011 #3
    Ah, so a single electron particle is a gaussian wave packet... which is an amalgamation of many waves put together, which constitutes a particle. And an electron's matter wave properties come out when it's forced into a slit smaller than the size of it's wave packet?

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Umm...yeah let's just go with that. (I think you know more about waves and such than I do it seems like)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook