I'm wondering about the theory behind pulley systems

In summary, the speaker is asking if there is a difference in tension between the masses in two different situations. They also mention the usual assumptions of massless ropes and pulleys. The response is that there will be two different tensions in the first situation, but only one tension in the second situation.
page123
I'm just wondering if the tension between the masses, that is the tension from the string, is different between each mass in the following situations. Like is the T between m1 and m2 different from the T between m2 and m3? Is it for both situations or is the T the same all around in one of the situations? Could you explain this to me? I'm getting different answers from people.

zOnbP.png

xUvzG.png

So yeah, I'm asking this because it will help me apply general physics to my homework but it's not actually a homework question. Just trying to learn the concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Making the usual assumptions of massless ropes and massless & frictionless pulleys:

In your first diagram there are two independent rope segments. Each will have its own tension.

In your second diagram there is a single rope segment and thus a single tension.

FAQ: I'm wondering about the theory behind pulley systems

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs over it. It is used to lift or move objects by applying force to one end of the rope while the object is attached to the other end.

2. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works on the principle of mechanical advantage, where a smaller force is able to lift a larger load by using a longer distance. As the rope is pulled down, the object attached to the other end is lifted up due to the tension in the rope and the rotation of the pulley.

3. What is the theory behind pulley systems?

The theory behind pulley systems is based on the concept of work and energy. According to the law of conservation of energy, the work done on one end of the system is equal to the work done on the other end. This allows for the transfer of energy to lift or move objects with less force.

4. Are there different types of pulley systems?

Yes, there are three main types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulley systems have a stationary axle and change the direction of force, while movable pulley systems have a moving axle and provide mechanical advantage. Compound pulley systems combine fixed and movable pulleys to provide both direction change and mechanical advantage.

5. What are the applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems have many practical applications, including elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also used in everyday objects such as blinds and flagpoles. In addition, pulley systems are essential in sports equipment, such as rock climbing gear and weightlifting machines.