I'm writing a program that simulates circular

In summary, when determining the angle of each particle's velocity after a collision in a program simulating circular particles in 2D space, you must first consider the type of collision (elastic, inelastic, or partially elastic). Then, you can use the position and velocity vectors of both particles to calculate the angle each particle is moving in before the collision and the angle from one particle toward another. The velocities perpendicular to the common normal or line of impact will remain the same, while the velocities parallel to the common normal can be calculated using the equation of coefficient of restitution.
AndrewM16921
I'm writing a program that simulates circular "particles" in 2d space. I'm at the collision handling part. I've already corrected their positions when an overlap occurs. So, my question is, how do I determine the angle of each particle's velocity after the collision? I have the position and velocity vectors of both particles, so I can easily calculate the angle each particle is moving in before the collision and the angle from one particle toward another.
http://nubcraft.org/stuff/img/collide.png
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

First of all it depends on the type of collision ..whether it is elastic, inelastic or partially elastic...The velocity vectors of both the balls ( for ex.) can be resolved in a direction perpendicular and parallel to the common normal or what we call line of impact of both balls...IN CASE if u hav confusion about common normal or line of impact :Common normal is a line that passes through the center of both the balls and is perpendicular to the points of contact of the circles...
The velocities perpendicular to the Common normal or line of impact will remain same as before for both the balls ...No changes for both of them ...

Now conserve the momentum (along the common normal) for the velocities parallel to the common normal ...

To get these velocities u need 1 more equation that is the equation of coefficient of restitution ...
e= velocity of separation ( along common normal ) / velocity of approach (along common normal)..

U hav 2 eqns solve them get the answer...

Sorry, for the long answer...
I hope this will help..

Looks like just the answer I was looking for. Thanks, I will try it out. :)

1. What is the purpose of simulating circular motion?

The purpose of simulating circular motion is to understand and analyze the behavior of objects moving in a circular path. This can be useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

2. How does the program simulate circular motion?

The program uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate and simulate the motion of objects in a circular path. It takes into account factors such as speed, radius, and acceleration to accurately depict the motion.

3. Can the program simulate different types of circular motion?

Yes, the program can simulate different types of circular motion such as uniform circular motion, simple harmonic motion, and circular motion with varying speeds or accelerations.

4. What are some real-life applications of simulating circular motion?

Simulating circular motion can be applied in various real-life scenarios such as understanding the motion of planets around the sun, analyzing the behavior of a pendulum, and designing roller coasters.

5. Are there any limitations to the program's simulation of circular motion?

The accuracy of the program's simulation may be affected by factors such as rounding errors, external forces, and friction. It is important to constantly review and adjust the equations used to improve the accuracy of the simulation.